2010 JK Automatic Transmission Shifter Bushing Replacement and Cross Compatibility

JK_Johnny

Good morning all. I'm new to this forum but I'm an old gray-beard when it comes to twisting a wrench, etc.
That said, my 2010 JK Sport has experienced a common issue and I thought it'd be helpful to establish a good rally point for anyone who has this issue in the future - the shifter linkage bushing failed at the transmission end and required a BDAR fix to get me back on the road and to the garage.

Through my searching I've found that there are several different options when it comes to replacing the failed bushing. The Jeep dealer will try to sell you on replacing the entire linkage assembly to the tune of $150.00+ (but Johnny that's a full tank of gas!) I hear ya barking, big dog!

Luckily there are aftermarket options to replace the bushing alone. Which brings me to the purpose of this post - I wanted to create a discussion with the intent that if you've had this issue and replaced the bushing only - let us know which part worked for you.

Dorman bushings are relatively common at most of the big-4 parts stores but there are several different options, none of which will work for a 2010 (according to their websites). There is a company that makes these bushings and will send them to your mailbox (bushingfix.com) but if you need to get back on the road and can't wait on the mail man, you'll need to get something over the counter. But which ones work?! Which one worked for YOU!?

Dorman offers a few different PNs that folks have had some luck with: 14055, 14057, & 14797.

I haven't yet purchased a replacement as my hasty fix is holding - for now. But I will update once I figure out which one works.

It goes without saying that given this issue's commonality it may behoove my fellow JK owners to get a pack of these replacement bushings and add them to your off-road first-aid kit.

Last edited:
There have been a couple of Members who have used those bushings to fix there shifter with success.
Yessir! I read a few threads, but I think the most recent was the “stuck in reverse” from 2020(?) So I thought it’d be valuable to refresh the topic and bring some new info to the table.

PS Thanks for running such a friendly and professional forum!

Yessir! I read a few threads, but I think the most recent was the “stuck in reverse” from 2020(?) So I thought it’d be valuable to refresh the topic and bring some new info to the table.

PS Thanks for running such a friendly and professional forum!

Best JK Forum on the WWW.

Reactions: mrjp and JK_Johnny
*Update*

I ordered the replacement from bushingfix.com and it’s on the way. In the meantime I also got a Dorman 14055 and promptly lost it up inside a gap in the case behind a plug. So we’re back to zip ties until I can get to the city and get another.

1559EA2C-F92D-469F-B363-75DA36CEF471.jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Good morning all. I'm new to this forum but I'm an old gray-beard when it comes to twisting a wrench, etc.
That said, my 2010 JK Sport has experienced a common issue and I thought it'd be helpful to establish a good rally point for anyone who has this issue in the future - the shifter linkage bushing failed at the transmission end and required a BDAR fix to get me back on the road and to the garage.

Through my searching I've found that there are several different options when it comes to replacing the failed bushing. The Jeep dealer will try to sell you on replacing the entire linkage assembly to the tune of $150.00+ (but Johnny that's a full tank of gas!) I hear ya barking, big dog!

Luckily there are aftermarket options to replace the bushing alone. Which brings me to the purpose of this post - I wanted to create a discussion with the intent that if you've had this issue and replaced the bushing only - let us know which part worked for you.

Dorman bushings are relatively common at most of the big-4 parts stores but there are several different options, none of which will work for a 2010 (according to their websites). There is a company that makes these bushings and will send them to your mailbox (bushingfix.com) but if you need to get back on the road and can't wait on the mail man, you'll need to get something over the counter. But which ones work?! Which one worked for YOU!?

Dorman offers a few different PNs that folks have had some luck with: 14055, 14057, & 14797.

I haven't yet purchased a replacement as my hasty fix is holding - for now. But I will update once I figure out which one works.

It goes without saying that given this issue's commonality it may behoove my fellow JK owners to get a pack of these replacement bushings and add them to your off-road first-aid kit.
I just replaced my Shift cable and bushings in my 2010 JK a few weeks ago. got the cable from oreilys and the bushings i used and i’ve heard are really good are doormans 14055, fixed it by myself in a few hours and it’s been perfect ever since! the bushings are about $10 at any local autozone!

Reactions: mrjp