2008 Wrangler JK sometimes won't start

I've encountered this issue twice now. Starter spins like it wants to start but won't fire. Turn key off and try it again and fires up like its supposed to. Curious if anyone has a solution as well

Reactions: Chris
I read in this forum that trying to turn on in nutral rather than parking might help
i will try it in the coming days

Any idea why my 2008 Wrangler is sometimes do not turn on - I have a new battery and a new starter ?
Apologies, can you be more specific? I’ve got a 2008 JK with Manual 6 speed.
Are you saying it won’t start at all right now, or just intermittent?

What does it do? Does it click, or complete nothing?

If it’s sometimes, what are you doing differently when it works?

In Gear it Neutral should make no difference because you have to press the clutch either way.
If you have new battery and starter, I’d bypass the clutch safety switch and see if it works 100% of the time. Then you know, that switch needs replacement and stop the bypass.

Or leave it bypassed depending on your comfort level. You don’t want to hit the starter and run through your garage wall or a person or kid.....if you don’t trust yourself to make that mistake.
Starting point to check. Search bypass clutch safety, Chris might even have a how to, I’m in the truck and can’t look this second.

Apologies, can you be more specific? I’ve got a 2008 JK with Manual 6 speed.
Are you saying it won’t start at all right now, or just intermittent?

What does it do? Does it click, or complete nothing?

If it’s sometimes, what are you doing differently when it works?

In Gear it Neutral should make no difference because you have to press the clutch either way.
If you have new battery and starter, I’d bypass the clutch safety switch and see if it works 100% of the time. Then you know, that switch needs replacement and stop the bypass.

Or leave it bypassed depending on your comfort level. You don’t want to hit the starter and run through your garage wall or a person or kid.....if you don’t trust yourself to make that mistake.
Starting point to check. Search bypass clutch safety, Chris might even have a how to, I’m in the truck and can’t look this second.

I haven't tried it yet but i've read that if you put the transfer case in 4 low it bypasses the neutral safety switch.

I haven't tried it yet but i've read that if you put the transfer case in 4 low it bypasses the neutral safety switch.
Ahh, good point to the OP. If you have an issue, it won't start, might be good to put it in 4Low and see if it starts without issue.

That will give a possible tip to the clutch safety switch being bad. There are other things that it could be, ignition etc, but I'm a big fan of doing the easiest to diagnose, this makes it even easier, then move on.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
This used to happen with mine (08 2dr auto).... I'd turn the key and get a sound sound like it was about to start and then..... silence.. Funny thing is, though, it hasn't happened in about 2 years. I realize this doesn't help, but it's interesting to hear I ain't alone. Usually I just pulled the key out and tried again. Almost like there was an electrical issue.

Any idea why my 2008 Wrangler is sometimes do not turn on - I have a new battery and a new starter ?