2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Sahara Unlimited emissions issues

Cowboy1fan38

So i have a 2008 jeep wrangler 3.8l. Unlimited sahara. And my wife put what she thought was gas from a gas can into the tank. Not sure what was in the gas that she put in the jeep. So after she put the unknown substance in the tank she drove it for no more than a 1/4 mile. Before it stalled out and stopped running. I then syphoned the substance out of the tank and put gasoline in hoping that i might have cought it in time. Well after i put good fuel in it i started it in my garage in hopes that it my clear its self out. It sounded like it was clearing its self out but then the exaust/ catalatic converters started glowing red. At this point i stopped. I let it sit for a few day till i could research my new issues. So after going online to a few forums for jeeps. I decided to clean out injectors, fuel tank,fuel lines , injector rail ect. I cleaned the injectirs while out of the jeep useing 99% alcohol and a 9 volt battery to activate the injector and they seemed to spray correctly. I did notice when i had the jeep torn down cleaning that ther was more gunk build up than usual. I did remove spark plugs and cleaned them also. I put the jeep back together and tryed to start it and it sounds like the starter kickes in but wont turn the flywheel from what im guessing it seems like mabey there is double the amount of build up in the chambers and piston cylinders due to what my wife put in tne tank. That it could be to much for the starter to turn the fly wheel. I also just finished taking all plugs out and put seafoam in the spark plug ports to see if that will loosen them up ifmthats event the problem. At this point im unsure what it could be

I cannot imagine having enough gunk built up in the cylinders as to prevent the starter motor from turning the engine over.
You said it "sounds like the starter kickes (sic) in", but what exactly are you hearing?
I agree that it would be super helpful to have some idea what was put in the tank.
Beyond that, I'd start by pulling all the plugs and turning the engine over by hand, with a breaker bar on the crank snout. If you can't, then you're looking at a complete teardown, and it might be easier just to get a long block from somewhere.

Reactions: BigAL07
So i have a 2008 jeep wrangler 3.8l. Unlimited sahara. And my wife put what she thought was gas from a gas can into the tank. Not sure what was in the gas that she put in the jeep. So after she put the unknown substance in the tank she drove it for no more than a 1/4 mile. Before it stalled out and stopped running. I then syphoned the substance out of the tank and put gasoline in hoping that i might have cought it in time. Well after i put good fuel in it i started it in my garage in hopes that it my clear its self out. It sounded like it was clearing its self out but then the exaust/ catalatic converters started glowing red. At this point i stopped. I let it sit for a few day till i could research my new issues. So after going online to a few forums for jeeps. I decided to clean out injectors, fuel tank,fuel lines , injector rail ect. I cleaned the injectirs while out of the jeep useing 99% alcohol and a 9 volt battery to activate the injector and they seemed to spray correctly. I did notice when i had the jeep torn down cleaning that ther was more gunk build up than usual. I did remove spark plugs and cleaned them also. I put the jeep back together and tryed to start it and it sounds like the starter kickes in but wont turn the flywheel from what im guessing it seems like mabey there is double the amount of build up in the chambers and piston cylinders due to what my wife put in tne tank. That it could be to much for the starter to turn the fly wheel. I also just finished taking all plugs out and put seafoam in the spark plug ports to see if that will loosen them up ifmthats event the problem. At this point im unsure what it could be

If you put to much Seafoam in the cylinders you could have hydro locked the engine if you had the spark plugs and was trying to turn it over.

Reactions: BigAL07