07+ Jeep Wrangler JK Intermittent Wiper Fix

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
The windshield wipers on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler started having problems several months back. At first they would randomly not find home and cycle an extra time or two before they finally stopped. Eventually the home position ended up a few inches up on the windshield instead of at the bottom. Then intermittent on the wiper settings yielded two wipes, then pause. Four wipes, then pause. Seven wipes, then pause etc, etc. Finally intermittent settings yielded continual wiping as if it were on low speed setting. A single wipe command would cause the wiper to stop whenever you released the stalk on the steering column. You had to manually home it or turn the wipers on to get it near home position.

I've worked on electronics involving encoder wheels and sensor flags to indicate "home" positions much like a crank or cam position sensor works, so I figured it was a flag or mechanism of some sort that wasn't working properly. Tonight I removed the wiper motor to see if I could fix the problem. The problem ended up being grease from the worm gear mechanism contaminating some contact fingers.

This takes 30-45 minutes and only requires a few torx bits, a couple sockets, a flathead screwdriver and something to clean up the grease with.

Use you fingers to lift the plastic cap covering the nut securing the wiper arms to the splined studs on the wiping mechanism. Spreading the plastic outwards on the sides allows it to easily pivot up. Remove the 13mm nut holding the wiper arm on the splined stud. Now pivot the wiper arm vertical, and lift it off the splined stud.

07_wrangler_wiperfix_1.jpg

Remove four torx screws holding the cowl down, and then use a large flathead screwdriver to pry up and out the two plastic fasteners securing the screen under the hood. A trim panel tool you can get at Autozone or Advanced will make this easier. Lift the cowl up and then forward to release two plastic feet near the bottom of the windshield. Rotate the back end up and lift off the cowl and plastic screen. Lowering the hood will make this step easier, but it is not necessary.

07_wrangler_wiperfix_2.jpg

07_wrangler_wiperfix_3.jpg

Disconnect the wiring to the wiper motor by releasing the red plastic lock tab, pressing the catch and pulling. Remove two 10mm bolts holding the wiper assembly to the jeep. Lift the wiper assembly up and out of the cowl area. Note the rubber foot sitting in a hole under the motor.

07_wrangler_wiperfix_4.jpg

Remove three torx screws holding down the cover on the gears and position indication portion of the motor. Remove the black plastic cover by releasing two plastic catches on the cover. Careful, they are likely brittle and might break.

07_wrangler_wiperfix_5.jpg

More views of the wiper motor assembly:
http://www.fawbush.org/images/07_wra...wiperfix_6.JPG
http://www.fawbush.org/images/07_wra...wiperfix_7.JPG
http://www.fawbush.org/images/07_wra...wiperfix_8.JPG

After lifting off the cover you will see how the grease from the worm gear mechanism has contaminated the copper spring fingers which allow the jeeps electronic control module [ECM] to determine wiper arm position.

07_wrangler_wiperfix_9.jpg

Clean the face of the metal/plastic disk and the contact fingers. Reassemble in reverse order and the ECM should be able to find home again (for a while).

07_wrangler_wiperfix_10.jpg

Wiper Fix. Thank you for posting this wiper fix. My 2014 JK Sahara unlimited had the same exact issues; The wipers would not stop at the home position, the intermittent setting was not working, and sometimes the wipers did not stop when turned off. Your fix worked great and the instructions were great. Saved me time and money.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
This is now on my list of things to do, as our intermittent setting only yields a single swipe regardless of switch position.

Well, I pulled the cowl, removed the motor/linkage assembly, & cleaned up the contacts inside the housing.
Still no go.
Wipers operate as soon as the switch is rotated from the off position, but only make a single swipe, then nothing.
Turn the switch to the next position, and I get another single swipe and then nothing.
Cycling up through the intermittent positions (which should decrease the time period between swipes) each yields the same result; a single swipe and then nothing.
If I increment the switch position past the intermittent positions to the "low", "med" of "high" positions, the wipers work as expected with consistent swipes.

Only the intermittent options seem to be impacted by this particular failure.

Any ideas on where to look?
Is there a separate control module somewhere that I can check out/test/replace?

We had the same issue also. I have an extended warranty so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the wiper motor and that was a no go. Then they replaced the TIPM module and it all works fine now.

Alright, same issue here... in this order I have replaced control stalk, replaced tipm, cleaned motor contact fingers and contact surface. No joy. Idk where to go from here. My contact surfaces looked nowhere near as pristine as those pictured in this post, so I'm thinking replace the motor, unless there's some controller I'm as of yet unaware of. Anybody got a thought?

20230805_180852.jpg

20230805_181458.jpg

As mentioned previously, if the only setting that doesn’t work is the intermittent setting, then the motor isn’t the issue.
The motor is responding to input, but it is not getting the intermittent control signal.
I replaced our TIPM with a rebuilt unit specific to our VIN, and it DID NOT solve the issue.
It fixed other issues, but NOT the intermittent wiper issue.

My “solution” has been to engage the wiper “momentarily” when needed or put it on the LO setting and accept that it cannot be fixed without a really expensive trip to the dealer.

As mentioned previously, if the only setting that doesn’t work is the intermittent setting, then the motor isn’t the issue.
The motor is responding to input, but it is not getting the intermittent control signal.
I replaced our TIPM with a rebuilt unit specific to our VIN, and it DID NOT solve the issue.
It fixed other issues, but NOT the intermittent wiper issue.

My “solution” has been to engage the wiper “momentarily” when needed or put it on the LO setting and accept that it cannot be fixed without a really expensive trip to the dealer.
Intermittent is the "primary" issue but in my case seems more random than the situation in your case. During inter. use I may get one swipe or ten, then nothing for 5 or 10 seconds then 1 or 2. Sometimes it functions exactly the same as low-speed etc. Mist function can run 5-10 cycles and stop mid cycle first try and afterword works as long as I hold down stalk, and stops wherever the wipers are when I left off. Rinse function reacts the same. Slow and fast speed operate normally. My contacts appear really worn on comparison to other pics I saw. Anyway, one of the ball joints on the wiper linkage was worn out popping off with no effort so I bought the bullet and ordered another. Whether it helps or not I will update.

Just an update. I replaced the motor/pos sensor/linkage assembly altogether. The plastic linkage on the drivers side was worn out and barely holding together. Took care of the issue entirely. Motor itself I'm sure was fine, but i believe the brass contact disc on the pos sensor was worn out. Deep grooves almost through the metal and wasn't getting solid contact. Anyway, if cleaning out the grease doesn't fix it i would replace that brass contact if you can w/o buying the whole assembly. Probably a cheap junkyard find

Reactions: WestCoastDan