Heated Switch Button

Piratemedic1215

Hey everyone.
So my wife is a new Jeep owner, She loves it. 2012 Jeep JKU. One of the first things she mentioned to me was how she wish it had Heated seats like her CRV had. (we hadnt even had it one day when she said this) So i started to do my research. Lots and lots of people had done the universal kit with the 3 way button in multiple locations. I have the same set in my Tacoma and they are nice, but the button bothered me. I wanted it to look stock in her Jeep. So after hours of research and trying to trace wires, i decided to do it myself. by no means am I a professional moder, but i like to tinker. So i thought i would do a write up to show how i did this. I take no responsibility if you do this and mess up. Let me know what you think.

1. Yes i know i spent more money than i should have on doing it.
2. Yes i know its not perfect
3. Yes i know she doesnt have High and low, Only High heat (if you know of another switch this size that does On/On/Off let me know).
4. I started taking pictures late in the game because i didnt know if it was going to work so i didnt think about it at the time.

So first off. Parts list.
I went with the stinger Off road Heated seats from Extreme-Off road-- $60
https://www.extremeterrain.com/stinger-jeep-wrangler-carbon-fiber-seat-heater-kit-phsk-2l.html

2014 Switch panel i got off Ebay out of a wrecked JK Like this one (P56054278AB) $40
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1346033260...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Random Wires i had laying around-- Free
LED pack i got off Amazon- $13
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVVL2S6/?tag=jkforum-20

On off Switch- $13
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086QTRTWL/?tag=jkforum-20

I think thats it.

So i did this for her Birthday, so i was trying to do this as quietly as i could during the day while she was sleeping (shes a nurse and works nights). So i started out with putting the Heat pads in and running the wires under the console. There are plenty of write ups on this. Only thing i did different was i didnt take the seats completly out. I undid the cloth seats retaining clips, unbolted one side of seat, removed the recline lever, and pulled up the fabric a little and slid the pads into place. Worked great and didnt have to take the entire seat out.

Then came the issue of the switches. Like i stated before i wanted it to look stock. I searched for a 3 way switch a On/On/ off that i could use and couldnt find anything that was small enough to fit where i wanted to do this. I pulled the panel and looked at the board on both the 2012 and 2014 and both are the same from what i could tell, the only difference was on the button side where the smaller rubber insert that presses the buttons was smaller to not compensate for the inverter or heated seat switches.

Then i got to work. I measured and figured out where i wanted the switches to hit. On the back of the Heated seat switch there is a place where the rubber insert would be to press and hit the panel. After some looking i realized i could put a rubber nub or screw in the back of the plastic switch to make it hit the button i would be installing. (this was the hardest part getting it to be far enough in and out that it would hit the button and still let the button go back completely out so it could be pressed off.
IMG_20230605_144240879_HDR.jpg

I cut holes in the new board so i could always go back to stock if i needed or wanted to, Also didnt want to give away the surprise of her present.
IMG_20230605_144235527.jpg

once i got the right distance for the button press, i put in two white LEDs from the top which i drilled a hole in the case to bring the wires out. This will be wired into the illumination switch of the Window switch, so the button lights turn on when the headlights came on.
IMG_20230605_144355428.jpg

IMG_20230605_144355428.jpg

then came the switches. Once switches were in placed i ran the wires out the back, cutting the case and running wires through it.

IMG_20230605_144923352.jpg

the final wiring was wiring the blue lights in so when the heated seats are on, it would light up blue and then off when the seats were off.

IMG_20230605_144937268.jpg

After testing the wiring, i soldered all the wires up and then buttoned it all up with some shrink tube and electrical tape. Wire tapped into the illumination wire that previous owner had tapped into for the stereo, that i had already replaced harness for. (you can also see the random hot wire that was connected to the Cig lighter that was also connected to stereo that is now removed)
IMG_20230611_150718661_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230611_153011658_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230611_153031842.jpg

Final product.
IMG_20230611_153702193.jpg
IMG_20230611_153711453.jpg

So a few things i know that will be asked.
when cutting into the board, no i didnt loose anything. I followed the wire traces and all i cut off was the button that was on the board, and the power to the light that was for that button on the ends. I also scratched the traces so nothing could short out by accident.

Still have full function and lights of the other switches. (not sure about the inverter as i dont have that option on this jeep but should be ok as those traces run from there back to the main harness traces) no other electrical gremlins noted when doing this (also the main reason i kept the stock board so i could go back if this didnt work.)

The green LED i tested first didnt match the rest of the lights, so i went with her favorite color, Blue.

I cut one of the switch buttons open from the harness that came with the Kit, to figure out what was power/ground and which was the Hi heat and Low heat.

i ran the power of both wire harnesses (driver and passenger seat) power through the firewall into the fuse box to the Heated Seat fuse location. Both grounds are connected at the driverside kick panel to a ground point location. This way when the Jeep is off the Heated seats will also turn off.

Hope this helps anyone that is trying this also. :)

IMG_20230605_145005127.jpg

IMG_20230611_153654023.jpg

IMG_20230611_153721651.jpg

IMG_20230611_153727700.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler JK Forum may be compensated.