Would a Mopar ignition coil solve my issue?

DJ64

The engine light has been on for a while and I have changed the plugs, wires and ignition coil but the check engine light is still on and it idles rough. I have read that the plugs need to be Mopar because they are finicky. I took the Jeep into Autozone to run a scan and it showed the ignition coil was bad. Swapped it out and to my frustration, still the same issue. So, the stupid question is would a Mopar ignition coil solve this issue? Hopefully someone has had a similar experience so I am not chasing my tail.

Thanks in advance.

DJ

Other people have used non OEM parts on the Jeep and had to replace them, i'm not saying that is your issue but if you bought a no name coil then it could be the problem. Yes they are real picky on what is installed on them.

Also if you haven't done this clean your battery clamps and cables and also inspect the cable ends real good, I ran a extra ground cable to my alternator from the battery to help with grounding. A bad ground can cause issues.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I will say that my experience with Jeeps has been that 9 out of 10 times if you don't use a factory Mopar part, you will have issues. I've found this to be true on my TJs, my XJs, my JK, etc.

As was said already, I can't guarantee this will solve your issue, but it would at least rule it out.

Another thing a lot of people overlook is checking ground connections and inspecting wiring harness. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people lose their minds over a check engine light they can't seem to get rid of, only to eventually find it was a small short in the wiring harness due to a wire that was missing insulation. It happens way more often than you might think, believe me.