Won't start - 2007

El Diablo Rojo

Hi,
New here. My Jeep has been having trouble starting. It was giving the gas cap error...when it first comes on you can hear a vibration from the rear of the vehicle. Then it got to where it didn't start...so I checked the battery posts and noticed the neg was loose. I tightened it and the jeep started - no problem. Then the issue came back. I guess it just isn't a good clamp/terminal on the post so I would disconnect and reconnect realizing I need to put a different clamp/terminal on it. That would get it to start. Today though...It won't start. I'm thinking maybe a fuse? I'm going to check that. Tried jump starting it thinking maybe the battery got run down. Nothing. When I try to turn the key, gauge lights come on but then nothing, Not even a click.

32K miles, unlimited, 2007

Sounds like you need to inspect both battery clamps and cables to make sure they are clean and tight. Also if you had a bad cable that could mean that your battery didn't get charged properly. Or your battery is going bad.

It won't if your battery clamps and or cables are bad. Sometimes a battery that's shorted out will prevent it from being jumped.

I cleaned them both with a wire brush and sandpaper. Put a small nail in there (the neg) because it was tightened all the way and still loose. That allowed me to get it to clamp good. I'll go buy a new terminal (it's got several wires coming to it). It's running! Sometimes it's the simple stuff. Thanks.

I cleaned them both with a wire brush and sandpaper. Put a small nail in there (the neg) because it was tightened all the way and still loose. That allowed me to get it to clamp good. I'll go buy a new terminal (it's got several wires coming to it). It's running! Sometimes it's the simple stuff. Thanks.

Thanks for updating and glad to hear it was a cheap fix.

Reactions: mrjp
Problem came back!! Now it starts...runs for 1-2 seconds then shuts off. Terminals are clean and tight. Not sure now.
Might have to reset the ECU if the battery was disconnected or dead for any length of time?
Not sure, but I'll defer to those who might know better.

Volts "not running" were at 12.8 or so when I checked this morning before leaving to work. If I disconnect the battery completely and clean everything off all over again - and say a prayer - it will likely start. But then I'll be back to square one before long.

Possibly solenoid??

Thanks

If you can clean it and it starts and runs sounds like you need new clamps and possibly cables both Pos and Neg.

I think it's more like I'm resetting it or something. Clamps and cables look good and one is brand new. I'll look at that more tonight. Thanks

Last edited:
Might have to reset the ECU if the battery was disconnected or dead for any length of time?
Not sure, but I'll defer to those who might know better.
I think you were on the right track. Thanks. Here's what I've learned in the last few days. It keeps shutting off after 2 seconds or so. After watching a bunch of videos, it's pretty clear to me that it's the SKIM anti theft module. They call it SKREEM/WCM/SKIM and I guess it's all the same. It loops around the key when you insert it and reads the chip. The only way I can get the Jeep to start is by removing the Ignition Draw Off Fuse for a minute then setting it back in. This resets the PCM - I believe. In short, it seems like I need to send the ECM to a company in Florida to have them program it so the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) is deleted. Or, I guess I could just replace the part. My battery was good, my post terminals were good, and going through all the evap stuff didn't solve anything.