Wobble Following Rotation

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
This is not a death wobble story.

I rotate my tires every 5k miles. I have now been through 2 full rotations (front to back, back to front x 2) and when the tires originally mounted on the rear have come to the front, I get a wobble at 45-50 mph. And, if I apply the brakes at that speed with that slight wobble, it gets magnified and I really have to grab the steering wheel, especially if I'm braking hard.
Is this just a balancing issue? As I said, I'm currently on my second rotation with the original back wheels now up front and the only time this is happening is between 45-50 mph, straight-line or turning. Matter of fact, I've got it pegged at 48-50 mph.

Last edited:
This is not a death wobble story.

I rotate my tires every 5k miles. I have now been through 2 full rotations (front to back, back to front x 2) and when the tires originally mounted on the rear have come to the front, I get a wobble at 45-50 mph. And, if I apply the brakes at that speed with that slight wobble, it gets magnified and I really have to grab the steering wheel, especially if I'm braking hard.
Is this just a balancing issue? As I said, I'm currently on my second rotation with the original back wheels now up front and the only time this is happening is between 45-50 mph, straight-line or turning. Matter of fact, I've got it pegged at 48-50 mph.

Could be a balance is needed or a belt is coming apart. Or possibly a bad rim, but a tire balancer should be able to find the problem.

Tires (BFG K02) have 10k on them. I'm going to have them balanced and, if nothing changes, I'll swap the culprit (believe it's the driver side) rim swapped from the spare.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
You typed it seems to happen when braking and gets worse if braking hard . Warped front brake rotor . It’s more common than you would think .
But does not only happen when braking. Only happens between 45-50mph, braking or not.
If I'm driving a road with a 45 mph speed limit, I either stay under the 45 or go over 50 and there won't be any vibration.
It's a very rhythmic wobble, not random, and again, within that 5 mph window only. If I'm driving 35 or 75, it's a very smooth and quiet ride.

Reactions: Speartip