Which JK should I buy?

RamonJose

I'm looking to buy a used 2016 Wrangler. One is an unlimited Sahara, highly upgraded, with 74k miles. The other one is an unlimited sport model, no upgrades, with 35k miles. They are both priced the same. Which would be a better option? Appreciate the help.

Mine, with the right offer.

Kidding (sorta)...

Look at the build sheet for both and, depending on what your plans are going forward, you'll want the one that works. Example- most Sahara's come with a 3.73 rear end with the occasional 4.10 option. Most Sport models come with a 3.21 and the occasional, but rare, 3.73.
Enter the VIN here for a buildsheet:

https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

Mine, with the right offer.

Kidding (sorta)...

Look at the build sheet for both and, depending on what your plans are going forward, you'll want the one that works. Example- most Sahara's come with a 3.73 rear end with the occasional 4.10 option. Most Sport models come with a 3.21 and the occasional, but rare, 3.73.
Enter the VIN here for a buildsheet:

https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/
Thanks for the feedback. Right now the main difference maker is the mileage. I like the Sahara better but has 2x as many miles.

If the one with the upgrades has the upgrades that you like and they were done right would be the best deal.
They are very nice upgrades and done right. It looks amazing. I'm only concerned because it has 74k miles and the other option has half that but is missing the upgrades.

I bought my 2010 just shy of 3 years ago, it had 72k on the odometer. It now has just over 100k. The only thing that I have done other than upgrades and routine maintenance is change the heater core. I wouldn't worry about the mileage if it looks like the maintenance has been taken care of.
Frank

Reactions: mrjp
My 2009 is around 205K right now. it's the older 3.8 engine, but still going good. I just need to keep an eye on the oil.

Some of the internal tech that the Sahara comes with is the only stuff that would be hard to upgrade to. integrated heated seats, advanced climate control, etc. But definitely take them both for a test drive. Drive the stock one first. That will give you a baseline for how a wrangler is suppose to drive (hopefully), then the upgraded one. Lift kits done poorly can make a vehicle squirrely, and really big ones will change the drive regardless.

They are very nice upgrades and done right. It looks amazing. I'm only concerned because it has 74k miles and the other option has half that but is missing the upgrades.
I have a 2016 Rubicon and like it a lot. Mileage comes down to what sort of miles, and how the vehicle was maintained. Off road mileage is rougher than highway driving and effectively puts more "miles" on it. requiring possibly more frequent air and oil filter changes and inspections. It stresses the basic systems of the motor, transmission, and suspension more. So, depending on how it was used that 35K vehicle might have effectively more miles than the 70K. I tend to consider age more than miles because you can conduct routine maintenance and deal with most mileage related issues to well over 100K before you start to really need to be concerned about things like engine internals.

Reactions: BigAL07