Violent shaking

139Driver

2008 Sahara unlimited 4 door. Driving at 55 and hit a bump in the road. Steering wheel started to shimmy and shake violently. Continued as I tried to brake and come to a stop.

Any idea what would cause this? Has happened 3 times at the same spot in the road

Thanks

Welcome to world of “Death Wobble”.
There is a nice long list of things that can cause this on the front end.
- worn ball joints
- worn bushings
- loose hardware
- worn hub bearings

Best to just get the front end up in the air and get some help moving the steering around a bit. Grab, shake and move every joint with some force to feel and listen for any movement. It’s a process and depending on mileage you may need to replace some worn components.

2008 Sahara unlimited 4 door. Driving at 55 and hit a bump in the road. Steering wheel started to shimmy and shake violently. Continued as I tried to brake and come to a stop.

Any idea what would cause this? Has happened 3 times at the same spot in the road

Thanks
If this started after just one particularly hard bounce I would carefully check the tie rod adjustments at both ends, and the stabilizer bar adjustment connection to the drag link. "Death wobble" isn't limited to Jeeps, but they are well known for it since they are often modified in ways that can encourage it to occur.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp