Uncle Sam

Mario

I am migrating this thread from the “new member from TN with questions”. My job keeps me away for several days at a time and then I get a bit of time at home. After a lift and several issues I have received a lot of great advice on how to fix the problems I have encountered along the way. Over the last few days I have installed heavy duty ball joints, adjustable upper and lower control arms, rear bumper, and a new steering assembly based on recommendations from those who posted on my original post. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it back on its wheels Everything torqued and greased and ready to roll. Thanks for all the advice!!

FF53D4BC-98EC-4A1F-AFF8-8046ADE2FFFE.jpeg

46569C7F-A0B9-4435-9E9A-DF76CAF8F6D8.jpeg

AFA9B6F1-D0A6-4F5A-990D-1F4D34BB503A.jpeg

A83F1392-C2AD-4EF7-A600-3C666BBE15EF.jpeg

43C770CD-2799-4A7B-8866-E0D44AF5F00D.jpeg

D7552472-13DE-4296-8CFA-E2340EFA91F0.jpeg

FAE95EF5-0794-4CD8-A55C-5BD362A24E6F.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
OK everything is back together now need to set the castor angle. showing 5 degrees on the right and 6 on the left. With 4" inch lift do I shoot for the stock angle of 4?

Reactions: mrjp
So I got the jeep finished up and back on 4 wheels. The original lift kit I purchased did not come with adjustable control arms. It did come with cam bolts for the lowers which I installed. After the fact I bought adjustable upper and lowers. I’m not overly pleased with the cam bolts seems to me it can be a weak point in the suspension. I was considering buying a couple heavy washers, centering the front bolts in the slot I cut and welding them in place. It just seems to me that a hard hit on the suspension and this cam bolts can slip.

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
Did the ball joints and other parts address the issues you were experiencing?
So after I installed am the new parts and had it realigned it is driving almost perfect. I also put on an adjustable heavy duty track bar. It still seems a little flighty on the road primarily going over bumps and when it is windy. I think that may be the nature of the beast with the 35s but I’m not sure. When I get back from work after the next four days or so I am going to take it to a Jeep specialty shop to have the alignment done. I think they will be able to check castor, and front and rear pinion angles. That should finish it up!

Reactions: mrjp
Update
The jeep has been driving fine tracking fairly well, it still seems a little drifty. I did check the castor and it is about 5.2 on a 4" lift. The local 4 wheel shop is booked about a month out for alignments. I did get it aligned at a local tire place, but I want a 4 wheel specialty shop looking at it. I did something that I usually don't do, I went cheap on the lift kit. I got the Rough Country 4" lift and base shocks. While the jeep drives fine the ride is very rough, much worse than stock. I did put on a Teraflex adjustable track bar and adjustable upper and lower control arms. I decided to upgrade the shocks to see if I could get a better ride. Night and day, Wow I could not be more pleased with the new shocks. Over the next few several months I am planning to upgrade most of the lift. Does anyone have experience with Metalcloak products? over the next year I am planning to slowly replace the current lift with Metal cloak suspension components.

jeep8.jpg

jeep9.jpg

jeep7.jpg