Trouble controlling air temp

chuckz8

Supporting Member
Hello Forum,

I just replaced the air temperature actuator for the 2nd time in my 2014 Rubicon. Both times the actuator was skipping gears, making that grinding noise. After replacing this last time seemed everything was working as expected for several days. Now I am having the air pegged on hot when first starting up the jeep in the morning, and this lasts anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes. Changing the temperature adjustment knob has no effect on the temp.

I remember this happening after replacing the actuator the first time, however it would only blow hot/warm air for 2-3 minutes and then normal control was available.

Is there a calibration required after changing the actuator? I seem to recall it would self calibrate. Or is it possible something else might be going on, such as the logic in the controller going berserk?

Although it's middle October in Texas, we still need AC! I appreciate anyone's knowledge on this issue.

Best Regards,
Chuck

Are you talking about the blend door actuator? Read this article (the paragraphs I pasted were but a short snippet.)

https://azoffroading.com/blog/jeep-jk-ac-blend-door-actuator-replacement/

"I could be wrong, but I believe there are actually three actuators installed in a Jeep Wrangler JK, each responsible for different function. There is the blend door actuator responsible for controlling the temperature, the directional actuator (probably not a correct technical name) responsible for directing the air to different vents, and the re-circulation door actuator which controls the air dam behind the glove box.
Each actuator is activated by a different knob or setting on the HVAC control panel.
If you run your Jeep for few minutes, take the glove box out, and turn off the engine, after about two minutes you can see and hear three small motors re-calibrating the three actuators, in sequence.

I do believe all three actuators are the same exact part even though they are mounted in different locations. Blend door actuator is located on the driver side below the steering column, directional actuator is located behind the glove box on the left side, and the re-circulation door actuator is located on the right side of the air dam, behind the right speaker."

Reactions: Chris
Yes this is the blend door actuator that I replaced (twice). Thanks for the link to the earlier post with instructions how to fix! That post was actually my guide to replacing it the first time (and second). Great forum.

So the actuator motor was functioning immediately and for a few days after. Now it is either delayed in functioning (moving to intended position for desired temperature), or is there other logic controllers involved in this? I have a hard time imagining the actuator is already bad.

On another note, the air coming out is extremely warm, making me think the door position is all the way to hottest setting.

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you talking about the blend door actuator? Read this article (the paragraphs I pasted were but a short snippet.)

https://azoffroading.com/blog/jeep-jk-ac-blend-door-actuator-replacement/

"I could be wrong, but I believe there are actually three actuators installed in a Jeep Wrangler JK, each responsible for different function. There is the blend door actuator responsible for controlling the temperature, the directional actuator (probably not a correct technical name) responsible for directing the air to different vents, and the re-circulation door actuator which controls the air dam behind the glove box.
Each actuator is activated by a different knob or setting on the HVAC control panel.
If you run your Jeep for few minutes, take the glove box out, and turn off the engine, after about two minutes you can see and hear three small motors re-calibrating the three actuators, in sequence.

I do believe all three actuators are the same exact part even though they are mounted in different locations. Blend door actuator is located on the driver side below the steering column, directional actuator is located behind the glove box on the left side, and the re-circulation door actuator is located on the right side of the air dam, behind the right speaker."

I know on my 14 (may it rest in peace) I would occasionally have to reset the actuator system to get it to do what I wanted. There was a fuse that had a white plastic housing fuse retainer (so I could just grab the side tabs and pull up and then push backs down) I want to say it was like J14 or something like that. I would make sure that all the knobs were in particular position to the left I believe. Pull the fuse for 10 seconds, replace, and then start the vehicle.

It was annoying, and I don't hear similar problems much, but it was a super easy fix once I learned how to do it. my current wrangler is a 2009 so I don't have the same fuse box, otherwise I would tell you exactly which to pull.

Thank you for the post. Your memory is almost spot on, it was J15. I tried this but still having the same issue with it going to hot upon first start up. Is there anything else needed to know in how to do this? Should the ignition be in the "on" position, but jeep not started when I pull the fuse?

It's just bizarre that this only happens after initially starting up.

Hmm. Typed this a few days ago but I guess I never posted it, so here you go.

For me I had to have the knobs in a specific orientation when I started the vehicle. I want to say they were all the way to the left but I could be remembering wrong. If they were not in the right position then it would continue to work strange and I would have to reset stuff again.

One thing I do remember is that I could hear the things actuating under the dash when they got power for the first time after resetting. I don't think I even had to fully start the jeep.

after reading your first post again, you do have a separate issue from the one I had, as mine involved where the air was sent and not the blend door, this started because of an accident that somehow managed to jam an item into the mechanism, not allowing it to adjust. I think that then confused the computer.

I wonder if there isn't something that is blocking normal action of the blend door on yours that isn't easily apparent. Eventually causing failure or a confused computer. Did you operate the blend door when you were under there to see that it had smooth uninterrupted movement? Something could be getting blown in there when the blower is on.

The last 2 days I have set all 3 control knobs to the far left position, which includes having it in the "off" position, and the air temp is behaving like it is supposed to with this change. Almost seems as if it has to calibrate every day. Andy yes I hear all 3 actuators for the air control system going through their motions whenever I open the door and before turning on the ignition.

When i replaced the blend door actuator I did witness it moving as commanded, prior to putting it all back together.

Thanks for the follow up, this is what makes these forums work!