Transmission problem

Wittscorpios

Hey everyone. New to the tread! I am having what I think is a transmission problem. This morning when I was leaving for work. I put my 2011 Jeep Sahara Unlimited into reverse. I made it to the end of the driveway when it felt like the brakes locked up and it didn’t move anymore. I tried to change gears and move it back forward. But that resulted in a grinding noise. That only happens when trying to put it into drive. Always! Now it is currently stuck at the bottom of my driveway and I can’t get it into any gear. Is the transmission screwed? Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Let us know what they say. Here's a few thoughts I have:

Check transmission fluid first and see where it's at.

Double check to make sure your transfer case in 2WD.

Does that noise happen when putting it into Drive or when you press the gas?

Well, the transmission fluid being a little high isn't going to cause any harm.

I'm curious to see what AAMCO says. It may actually be an internal issue.

Reactions: BigAL07
So far it is going to cost me 495 to have them pull the tranny and assess it. They looked listened and checked it over while it was in the parking lot. They need to pull the tranny and see what happened inside. They think something broke and lodged itself somehow causing it to be stuck. I should know more tomorrow.

Damn, that's not good. I had a bad feeling it might have been something internal, in which case you did the right thing by taking it to a professional. I'll mess with a lot of things, but rebuilding transmissions isn't one of them.

Damn, that's not good. I had a bad feeling it might have been something internal, in which case you did the right thing by taking it to a professional. I'll mess with a lot of things, but rebuilding transmissions isn't one of them.
Well the planetary gear and some bushings were in the pan. They are dropping the transmission today to see what damage has been done. The good thing out of all this is. By the time I am done I will have a new engine and transmission within a month of each other. The bad thing is the pain in the pocket book. Lol. I replaced the long block last month and only have 3600 miles on it.

Well the planetary gear and some bushings were in the pan. They are dropping the transmission today to see what damage has been done. The good thing out of all this is. By the time I am done I will have a new engine and transmission within a month of each other. The bad thing is the pain in the pocket book. Lol. I replaced the long block last month and only have 3600 miles on it.

Damn, that's not good news. Like you said, at least you get a new transmission though.

I'm guess I'm glad we didn't play the "diagnostic guessing game", as this was something that was obviously far more serious than a sensor or switch!

I think I’m having the same issue with my 2011 unlimited Sahara automatic, I took it to a local mechanic and they said pulled the rear diff apart and everything checked out well there. They said they need to pull the transmission pan out to fully verify.
mine is currently still driving fine and only hear noise intermittently when driving mostly when taking tight turns. It makes a very loud grinding. Curious on if you heard noises before this or if it just happened all at once? Mine has 154k on it