OBSFJeep

I've done some digging around and can't seem to find the straight answer. I have a 2014 JKU Sport w/ 2.5 lift on 35s & need to change the diff fluid (I'm slightly beyond the 30K interval - it's at 64K miles)

I ordered the 4qts of MOPAR 80w-90 gear oil for the job. It looks like i've got a DANA44 Rear axel. Does my rear diff require the MOPAR limited slip additive?
There is no tag showing it has trac-lok and user manual doesnt call it out. I dont have bottle jacks handy to spin one wheel at the moment.

additive im wondering about....Genuine Mopar Fluid 4318060AC Limited Slip Additive - 4 oz. Bottle

Thanks for any help!

Just don't use the wrong lube.......
1581727864119.png

............gears teeth might fall apart

Just don't use the wrong lube.......
View attachment 114591
............gears teeth might fall apart
Ya, last owner may not have. I had more than shavings - there were a few chips showing when I drained. Took the diff cover off and saw the pinion / spider gears had some chipping. The rear diff was changed 30k ago but looked burnt / oil was really dark. Cleaned w brake cleaner, resealed and added limited slip fluid + recommended gear oil.

Reactions: Chris
Wow, sounds like someone wasn't treating that thing the best!

That is the key to keeping a vehicle running. Maintenance.

I just put in my 2018 JK front and rear electric lockers, the front end is a Dana 30 axle and the rear is a Dana 44 Next Gen. The original 3.21's were swapped out for 4.56's.

Currently on the break-in period, have to drive her for around 500-600 miles then take it back for a complete oil change out and flush. They will check the gears to see how everything is doing. No unusual sounds or problems noted so far.

The switches for the electric lockers were mounted on the A-Pillar with a safety interlock to prevent accidental activation. I basically have to be at a full stop before engagement. When activated, the switches glow bright blue so there is no missing them.

The shop that did the install even gave me the speedo calibrator as part of the package. She is running 35's so everything had to be recalibrated.

Reactions: Chris
That is the key to keeping a vehicle running. Maintenance.

Currently on the break-in period, have to drive her for around 500-600 miles then take it back for a complete oil change out and flush. They will check the gears to see how everything is doing. No unusual sounds or problems noted so far.
Agreed.
I sensed you just love your jeep that much :)

Last edited: