Tire sizing?

Bigbernie

I'm sure this has been asked to death. But I'm asking for a slightly different reason.

What is the largest tire size I can put under my 08 Wrangler X? Everything is stock. I have the 17x7.5 aluminium rims. I don't just want to height. I'd rather know width.

For instance, it came with 255/75r17s. Would 295/75r17 work? Larger? I want a mean looking tire, but no rub.

I'm sure this has been asked to death. But I'm asking for a slightly different reason.

What is the largest tire size I can put under my 08 Wrangler X? Everything is stock. I have the 17x7.5 aluminium rims. I don't just want to height. I'd rather know width.

For instance, it came with 255/75r17s. Would 295/75r17 work? Larger? I want a mean looking tire, but no rub.

Turn your wheel lock to lock and see how much clearance you have between the tire and control arms. But if it was my Jk with a 7'5 wide wheel I probably wouldn't put any bigger then the next size up on it.

Yeah. I like the height. I'm not looking not taller. Just wider. That's why I came here. Figured someone might have an educated guess.

Yeah. I like the height. I'm not looking not taller. Just wider. That's why I came here. Figured someone might have an educated guess.

If you want wider then likely you'll need wheel spacer to be sure nothing rubs on turns.

@BLACKJKU is right. Anything wider than the stock tire size won't fit. I personally would never put wheel spacers on as they add a hard to check catastrophic failure point, there are a number of shops that won't work on your tires if you have spacers because of the liability. however I'm aware that people still use them. I would ask your shop before going that route.

The stock wheels don't really allow for anything bigger as there is not enough backspacing, also being only 7.5 limits your tire choices.

A local jeeper in my town has the stock sized tires but picked up some pro-comp steelie wheels that he paid less than $90 for each. Though they are up in price now, still probably the cheaper option. They are 17 x 9 and man do they look good. They moved the tires out a bit and made them look wider, I thought he had 33" on it. remember Jks have a 5 x 5 bolt pattern.

You can us this website to do tire comparisons.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Turn your wheel lock to lock and see how much clearance you have between the tire and control arms. But if it was my Jk with a 7'5 wide wheel I probably wouldn't put any bigger then the next size up on it.
I have 3" at the front and rear of each tire when turned lock to lock.

with stock wheels it's not the turning that is the main issue with larger tires, though it is an issue. It is the fact that wider tires on stock wheels impact the frame/ suspension components. Look behind your rear tires and see how much clearance there is between the inside of the tire and various components. I think the rear sway bar is the first thing that gets in the way. measure that distance and then you can use the website I linked earlier to get an idea how big you can go.

285 / 70 / r17 will 100% not fit... learned the hard way.

I have roughly 7 inches behind the rear tires. Is that gonna be an issue?

I actually saw another Jeep yesterday with 275/60R17. No clearance issues. Or at least was told none.

I just wanna get away from the pizza cutter look.

I'm curious where you are getting 7 inches.

What I'm talking about is anything and everything that a wider tire may impact. Essentially if you were to move your tire inboard, toward the other side of the jeep, what would it hit first. That is what you have to take into consideration.