Throttle response booster (off-brand Pedal Commander for 2007 Jeep JK 3.8)

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just purchased this on Amazon and installed it:

iKiKin Throttle Response Controller 9 Drive Modes Racing Accelerator Potent Booster Tuning Parts Accessory for Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2017 807​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZX71Y52/?tag=jkforum-20

This is a generic version of the "pedal Commander" item. Pedal Commander is $299. This lists for $72, but got it for $62 with a "coupon" on amazon. Prime shipping eligible, and showed up in about 3 days. There are about 30 other brand names of this exact same device on Amazon right now - from about $70 to $90, but it seems they are all made in the same factory. They are also called "9 drive" (don't know why). I bought this one because it was on sale, and it had free shipping. I saw one on eBay for $52, but you also need to pay shipping - and you have to make sure it's the one that comes with the right harness for the Jeep throttle with the correct plugs. On some of the eBay ads, it's not clear what car they are for.

Super easy to install, literally plug and play - took about 10 min even with reading the instructions and watching a video someone else posted. In one video someone did a 6 month review and said they had had zero issues since installing. Good enough.

Wow! This does not actually make more horsepower or anything like that, but you would swear it does. What it does do is change the llag or delay in the response from the time you depress the accelerator pedal to the actual engine response. The 3.8L JK's have a reputation for being sluggish/underpowered - but this puts the lie to that. You can adjust this from "no effect" to "comfort mode" to "sport" to "holy crap". I have it set to 2.3, on a scale of 2.1 to 2.9 in the "sport" mode. Jeep is much more responsive not only when starting off the line, but also when accelerating or going up hills - it just works like you would expect a V6 to actually work. When you press the pedal, the Jeep moves right away. Before this I found myself mashing the accelerator to the floor since nothing seems to happen - now it's like driving any other modern car.

I still think you should clean your throttle body and change your spark plugs and wires if you have an older or high mileage Jeep, but even those won't do what this will do - instant transformation in the way the Jeep drives and totally worth it for this $$. My wife worries every time I start fiddling with her Jeep, but she actually noticed the difference right away and was pretty happy with this one.

Last edited:
Yea that's what i've been telling everyone that it's the best engine mod out there, makes it feel like it has more power. Though sometimes I always think cheaper isn't always better, but your upcoming experience with it could prove different.

Yea that's what i've been telling everyone that it's the best engine mod out there, makes it feel like it has more power. Though sometimes I always think cheaper isn't always better, but your upcoming experience with it could prove different.
But unnecessarily expensive is not good either. Best not to pay too little or too much. If this fails for some reason, I will buy another model from another vendor that does the same thing.

One more thing - this thing is tiny - smaller than a credit card and about as flat. The Pedal Commander is huge - so it makes for a much less clean installation on the dash. I'll post a pic later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLACKJKU
But unnecessarily expensive is not good either. Best not to pay too little or too much. If this fails for some reason, I will buy another model from another vendor that does the same thing.

True I mainly went by reviews from various places, had mine for 1.5 years and still works like it should.

Here is a pic of the install and the setting I have it on:

IMG_4531.jpg

Here is a pic of the install and the setting I have it on:

View attachment 117873
That's awesome! Glad you got it. It makes your jeep more fun to drive. Keep us posted on how it holds up. I hope it lasts forever. I actually eyed that before I got the Pedal Commander. I got my Pedal Commander for $250 (sale) and the size is actually about the same. It just looks bigger in the ad I think. I just have mine zip tied under the panel, not visible for when the Jeep is naked in the warmer weather. I strictly just use the bluetooth function, if I need to adjust.

Again, keep us posted. I'll watch this post.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Still more $$, but this one does not have Bluetooth as an option. Thanks for the comparison. i just realized I typed $399 above - it's $299 for the pedal commander. My bad - I'll fix it.

Had an issue this past weekend... Check Eng. light on and Red Lighting bolt type light right in center of cluster... no gas pedal.. the pedal commander goofed on me somehow. took it off while on the trail reset light & Jeep runs good..

Called PC and they said they will send me label & pay shipping to return it and check it out and send me new that one if checks okay. I'm a little nervous because of the cost of an ECU if there is a problem but it didn't hurt anything the first time.

It did it shortly after I installed it and yes it needs to be still installed. The throttle needs to be relearned when ever any changes have been made from what I understood. It's been over a year since I reset it and never happened again.

Also anytime it does happen all you need to do is turn the key to off and then restart it and it will be ok. The reset should fix the problem.

It did it shortly after I installed it and yes it needs to be still installed. The throttle needs to be relearned when ever any changes have been made from what I understood. It's been over a year since I reset it and never happened again.

Also anytime it does happen all you need to do is turn the key to off and then restart it and it will be ok. The reset should fix the problem.
okay, yes I did shut it off and restart it a few times. didn't fix it. I just removed it on the trail and had my scan tool in the Jeep so reset the codes. mine is a 3.6 but should make a difference.

As an old CJ guy, i'm unaccustomed to "electronic gadetry" HOWEVER, I did install the 9 Drive and response is SO much better. IF you don't have one, get one...little money for huge improvement.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
As an old CJ guy, i'm unaccustomed to "electronic gadetry" HOWEVER, I did install the 9 Drive and response is SO much better. IF you don't have one, get one...little money for huge improvement.
I saw that on Amazon and was considering it to save some money. But, was concerned about it being made in China (and I'm Chinese! Haha). I hope it lasts a long time, but yes, it makes a difference, especially getting around town and turning it up on a longer freeway drive. Helps a lot on the low end.

I thought my Pedal Commander took a shit on me while I was in Moab, because bluetooth wouldn't connect. Figured out my other phone (work) phone was connected to it 🤣.

Best of luck with that 9drive. I hope it works as good as the PC. If so, I will get that next time and save some $$

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
okay, yes I did shut it off and restart it a few times. didn't fix it. I just removed it on the trail and had my scan tool in the Jeep so reset the codes. mine is a 3.6 but should make a difference.
So, @Hooperdog - when yours flaked out, you didn't try recalibrating the throttle, correct? Did PC have you try any troubleshooting or did they just tell you to ship it back?