Thoughts on Overland Trailers?

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
So, some thoughts that have gone into my head, should I get a overland trailer (actually I would fab one up myself) instead of a permanent roof rack, cargo rack, etc.

My jeep is my daily so if i got a roof rack I would loose mpg daily. Eventually I would also through a RTT up on there killing mpg even more.

So lately I have been thinking wouldn't it be better to get a overland trailer and loose mpg on some weekends rather than every day.

What is everyone's opinions on trailers?

Note: my lifestyle is outdoors every weekend. So it would be used quite a bit.

I was about to say, weight obviously is a concern, so you'll have to make sure it's a lighter weight trailer. I haven't personally looked into them, but I will say that in my opinion, I like the idea of an overland trailer way better than a rooftop tent and all that other stuff.

Maybe one of those RPOD trailers? I seem to see those all over the place, and they look nice and compact.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
I was about to say, weight obviously is a concern, so you'll have to make sure it's a lighter weight trailer. I haven't personally looked into them, but I will say that in my opinion, I like the idea of an overland trailer way better than a rooftop tent and all that other stuff.

Maybe one of those RPOD trailers? I seem to see those all over the place, and they look nice and compact.
The 2,000lb towing max sure is a bummer, but I would much rather tow less and not die. lol.

Found this guys build. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/campncrawltrailer.194799/

My original plan was to fab up with 2x2x3/16th square steel tube. I notice he is using 3x3x3/16th angle steel. Would this be strong enough (weld strength assumed strong enough) to offroad?

I could make the frame out of 2x2 square steel tube and then do the vertical build with the angle steel.

Thoughts?

I just use this

6C4D158C-34E3-44B9-B5A8-DEE85373306C.jpeg

Yeah, you definitely want to be careful about how much you tow with a Wrangler. It can get very scary, very fast!

These things are far from the best towing vehicles.

Trailers are nice with a daily driver. Come Friday all you have to do is hook up, buy some food and beer and be gone. Monday, drop the trailer go to work. On trailer size, it is nice if it is as wide as the Jeep so you can see it backing up. Otherwise 2000# is plenty of capacity, mine a box of OSB in an open trailer weighs 1580# fully loaded. Trailer cost $1100 new and the camper, home built, cost $850.

I'm an old fucker so I like to roll into bed with zero setup and on a rainy morning I love rolling out of bed and driving away, everything always dry for the next night.

DSCN1473.jpeg

I think mine is a bit big but I had the trailer and I wanted to store the doors.

IMG_1290 2.jpg

Last edited:
My original plan was to fab up with 2x2x3/16th square steel tube. I notice he is using 3x3x3/16th angle steel. Would this be strong enough (weld strength assumed strong enough) to offroad?
Check out commercial manufactured trailers, they are often lighter and stronger and cheaper than a home built. Mine, a fully welded 5x10 Mirage weighs 700# and cost $1100.

trlr 013.jpeg