Tailgate won't open

Diekster

2014 JK Sahara. I have been having some tailgate issues where the door would not close. Had to use a screwdriver to “open” it. this happened about 5 times over 6 months. Today i closed the door, drove 25 minutes and now I can’t open the tailgate. Sounds like the lock is opening and closing. Removed the inside panel and still couldn’t get the lock to open. Sounds and looks like it’s functioning. Send an URL (if possible) if run into a solution. Thanks.

If you have a larger than stock wheel and tire combo and the tailgate hinges and tire carrier have not been upgraded to compensate for the increased weight, then you have the issue mentioned above- tailgate out of alignment.

Reactions: Duster and Speartip
Mine was all over the place until I put in Morryde hinges and reinforcement bars.

The sheet metal was even snapped close to the hinges in the vent area...I need to weld that...

PO through 35s on this JK without a regear...and they put a wheel spacer on the back tire carrier so the spare would fit... adding even more weight.

I need to figure out if I can remove the studs from the OEM carrier and swap them with longer ones so the spare will fit without the spacer...the Morryde reinforcement bar pushed out the carrier enough not to need it.

If you put on reinforcement consider a spare tire blank plate to cover the vent...my flaps were shot and dust would get everywhere in the back...the plate threads through the reinforcement bars and OEM carrier...makes quite a sandwich but works.

-Mac

Mine was all over the place until I put in Morryde hinges and reinforcement bars.

The sheet metal was even snapped close to the hinges in the vent area...I need to weld that...

PO through 35s on this JK without a regear...and they put a wheel spacer on the back tire carrier so the spare would fit... adding even more weight.

I need to figure out if I can remove the studs from the OEM carrier and swap them with longer ones so the spare will fit without the spacer...the Morryde reinforcement bar pushed out the carrier enough not to need it.

If you put on reinforcement consider a spare tire blank plate to cover the vent...my flaps were shot and dust would get everywhere in the back...the plate threads through the reinforcement bars and OEM carrier...makes quite a sandwich but works.

-Mac
I removed the spare - looks ligned to me. Just hate to go to the healer if I can work this myself. The locks sound like it’s functioning correctly. Using the key doesn’t help.

A89F8564-C787-4D3E-BD36-8D6A464D49F1.jpeg

Judging by the pic I agree with @macleanflood . Looks low on hinge side .
When I put on rear tire delete replaced hinges as well . All you have to do is loosen hinge bolts attached to tail gate while it’s closed . Check alignment, snug bolts and test . It’s probably over the years moved out of alignment or the hinges are worn . The heavy spare on the back is tough on hinges and the gate itself sometimes causing tailgate to warp .
Bumper spare mounts are getting more & popular as it eliminates any stress on tailgate .

Last edited:
Judging by the pic I agree with @macleanflood . Looks low on hinge side .
When I put on rear tire delete replaced hinges as well . All you have to do is loosen hinge bolts attached to tail gate while it’s closed . Check alignment, snug bolts and test . It’s probably over the years moved out of alignment or the hinges are worn . The heavy spare on the back is tough on hinges and the gate itself sometimes causing tailgate to warp .
Bumper spare mounts are getting more & popular as it eliminates any stress on tailgate .
Jeep really dropped the ball on the tailgate. The whole structure is a bit weaker than I would expect, given the weight of even the stock spare. And the check strap is a joke.
The bumper vs pivot argument will go on forever. Just like the synthetic rope vs steel cable argument. I think it boils down to cosmetics. The various pivot carriers take all the stress off the tailgate and transfer it to the tub. The tub may not be as strong as the frame, but I think it's plenty strong enough for any size spare.

Got the tailgate lock fixed. A Jeep/auto repair shop (Vickers in Merritt Island, FL) fixed it in 10 minutes. There was dirt in the lock. He blew it out, tested it and threw it back in. Works perfectly! $89 fix! 😁

Thanks for the help Wrangler community. When/if I get more details I will post.