Switch at hood, anyone have one of these?

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So the wife’s JK (2015) has this switch at the drivers side hood area. My JK same year does not have one, neither does my son’s 2007, nor do I think my daughters 2017. The bracket says PCM and TIPM, the switch is at the TIMP slot. No i haven’t tried tracing the wires, guess I should do that. For some odd reason didn’t think about it till writing this post, duh. Anyways there are two wires at the bottom of the switch. The jeep runs with the hood open or closed. They’re isn’y any light under the hood or anything. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_4813.jpeg
IMG_4814.jpeg

Reactions: Dirty Dog
So the wife’s JK (2015) has this switch at the drivers side hood area. My JK same year does not have one, neither does my son’s 2007, nor do I think my daughters 2017. The bracket says PCM and TIPM, the switch is at the TIMP slot. No i haven’t tried tracing the wires, guess I should do that. For some odd reason didn’t think about it till writing this post, duh. Anyways there are two wires at the bottom of the switch. The jeep runs with the hood open or closed. They’re isn’y any light under the hood or anything. Anyone have any thoughts?
Does your Jeep have the factory remote start? I found some sources indicating that it is a kill switch for the remote start to prevent the engine from being started by someone while you are working in the engine bay.

Open your hood and hit the remote start and see if it starts.

Neither of ours has that button. My 2013 is an M6, so no remote start, of course, but her '11 has remote start. I wonder if there were some fingers that turned up missing and this was added later in the production run?

Reactions: JerryD
So that was it. I opened the hood and tried to start it and it wouldn’t start. The funny thing is after I closed the hood the remote start didn’t work. So I put the key in the ignition and it started. Tried the remote start again and it still didn’t work. Might need a certain time frame or go for drive. Might be some sort of reset for it. Wife just used the remote start a couple of days ago so we know it works.

If I'm not mistaken, the factory remote start is quite a bit smarter than we expect it to be.
Will not work if the doors are open.
Will not work if the trans is out of park (might work in neutral, never tried it).
Engine will run for about 10 minutes then turn off if you don't insert the key and turn the ignition to run.
Cannot "redo" a RS if it times out until the ignition is cycled.
Radio and other electronics do not work when remote start was activated, until AFTER the key has been inserted into the ignition & turned to run.
Remote Start (RS) will NOT work if there is an active CEL or fault code.

And apparently it will not work if the hood is lifted.

If I'm not mistaken, the factory remote start is quite a bit smarter than we expect it to be.
Will not work if the trans is out of park (might work in neutral, never tried it).
Engine will run for about 10 minutes then turn off if you don't insert the key and turn the ignition to run.
Radio and other electronics do not work when remote start was activated, until AFTER the key has been inserted into the ignition & turned to run.

Sneaky bastage en-ga-neers....

Sneaky bastage en-ga-neers....
And it won't work if the low gasoline light is on.

Reactions: Danarch and Amok
I don't have remote start, but do have that switch under the hood on my 2012. I was also able to start it up with the hood open. After Google TIPM (totally integrated power module) I'm still at a loss at what this switch does?

Hier bij de mijne 2013 jk heb ik ook deze schakelaars , volgens de garage is dat voor de start stop veiligheid , wanneer de gordel van de chauffeur ingeklikt is , kan het start stop systeem werken , en de motor doen aanslaan , daarom is het een verbreking contact geplaatst is de motorruimte .