Stock wheels

MC Danno

Ideas on stock wheels. Is there a market to resell stock wheels? Should I use a spacer or backset new wheel. I have steel wheels now. Is paint an option?

Alot depends on what your wheels look like if there would be someone else interested in buying them. Someone that might have had one damaged and was looking for a wheel just like theirs would be interested.

We do have a for sale section if you want to sell yours.

Reactions: mrjp
Alot depends on what your wheels look like if there would be someone else interested in buying them. Someone that might have had one damaged and was looking for a wheel just like theirs would be interested.

We do have a for sale section if you want to sell yours.
🙏 Appreciate it

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Don't get your hopes too high with regard to price. There are probably more stock jeep wheels floating around than any other make/ model of vehicle on the road.

My suggestion is to put them on your local craigslist / facebook (ugg.. i hate suggesting facebook), or any other local sales type thing.

You possibly get a local price by digging into those two and seeing what they are going for in your area.

They are not worth enough to ship them anywhere, but good luck. I ended up just giving mine to a buddy that runs a tire shop.

Paint is always an option for wheels, but in most cases you have to take your time with prep, good coats, and not rushing things if you want the finish to look good and to last. Chris Fix gets a pretty good result with his steel wheels video on youtube. It's definitely worth a watch.

I like my stock wheels but I'd like some more width, so for now I picked up a set of SpiderTrax 1.5 inch spacers off of Craigslist. If I can get them on the JK this weekend I'll post some pics. If I was purchasing new wheels I'd be shopping for ones with the back spacing that I want.

I don't know what the market is like in your neck of the woods, but I've seen a lot of Gladiator wheels for sale recently. I think they look pretty sharp. You might be able to pick up a set like this for 400 to 600 dollars.

1630630692209.png

Paint is always an option for wheels, but in most cases you have to take your time with prep, good coats, and not rushing things if you want the finish to look good and to last. Chris Fix gets a pretty good result with his steel wheels video on youtube. It's definitely worth a watch.

I like my stock wheels but I'd like some more width, so for now I picked up a set of SpiderTrax 1.5 inch spacers off of Craigslist. If I can get them on the JK this weekend I'll post some pics. If I was purchasing new wheels I'd be shopping for ones with the back spacing that I want.

I don't know what the market is like in your neck of the woods, but I've seen a lot of Gladiator wheels for sale recently. I think they look pretty sharp. You might be able to pick up a set like this for 400 to 600 dollars.
Follow the manufacturer directions for the spacer install the the T. I personally don't trust spacers at all and would never put them on a vehicle. I would contact your insurance to see if they will even cover you with them on.

I understand that new wheels are a big expense, but spacers create a catastrophic failure point that you can't check without removing the tires, and some shops won't even work on a vehicle with spacers, and you got some second hand meaning the company that made them probably won't cover anything, if they ever did.

Just know what you are getting into.

I picked up my pro-comp wheels for around $100 each a few years ago. You can get some steelies for less that $100

Reactions: Savior_Six
@MacGuyver, thanks for the advice and for looking out for others (in this case, me). Similar to what you said, except that I'm being willing to run spacers while you're not - my biggest points of care with spacers are to buy quality ones. Follow the instructions on the install. Don't skip out on re-checking the spacer bolts per the instructions.

Reactions: JerryD
Found some 2007 Rubicon Wheels. I'm going to put these on keep it stock. Even keeping the rubber I've got on my old wheels for now. Want to see the wore out I will look into 265s I think. If I am reading this correctly I should be able to go to a 265/75-17 without any wheel spacers or lift

Attachments

• received_584839972891431.mp4
    2.9 MB
I got the spacers put on yesterday. I haven't had a chance to drive my Jeep yet. I have to put 50 to 100 miles on it and re-check the torque on the spacer lug nuts. It's hard to tell a big difference in the pics, but I like the result quite a bit.

Before.
IMG_0573.JPG

After.

IMG_0584.JPG

I also washed and waxed it today. It was getting pretty dirty.

Found some 2007 Rubicon Wheels. I'm going to put these on keep it stock. Even keeping the rubber I've got on my old wheels for now. Want to see the wore out I will look into 265s I think. If I am reading this correctly I should be able to go to a 265/75-17 without any wheel spacers or lift
I use talk to text often as I'm working. Look at that well writing post. Is it Google or my yank-a-billy accent?

• Haha
Reactions: Savior_Six
If those newer tires are taller then stock and you have a auto trans you'll need to recalibrate your speedometer so your shift points are where they are supposed to be. And also so you don't get a speeding ticket.

I got the spacers put on yesterday. I haven't had a chance to drive my Jeep yet. I have to put 50 to 100 miles on it and re-check the torque on the spacer lug nuts. It's hard to tell a big difference in the pics, but I like the result quite a bit.

Before.View attachment 119716

After.

View attachment 119718

I also washed and waxed it today. It was getting pretty dirty.
So why the spacers? Wider / taller tires? Asking because the used 2015 Sahara we bought my wife the tires are oversized and on a sharp turn they hit the anti-sway bar some. I’ve been thinking about using a washer on the stop stud or maybe spacers, or 1” suspension spacer. Not sure I am too keen on spacers though, plus I am concerned about travel distance and hitting the fender since they will stick out and not be under the fender. I told her we should just have the correct size tires installed, but she likes them.

So why the spacers? Wider / taller tires?

I wanted the spacers for a few reasons. The main reason is for the look. To me, it looks so much better with the tires sticking out just a bit. The other reason is that it buys me some time as I decide where I want to go with my build.

I bought the Jeep just a few months ago. It has some nice 275/70R18 (similar to 33 x 10.5) BF Goodrich KO2 tires with lots of tread on them still. The speedo has been recalibrated already. I also have a 2-inch spacer lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks. I like it as it sits so far, and I want to give it some time to see what I would like to do in the future. I'm not entirely sure if I want to lift it much more or not. I would like to wear these tires down first. If I end up doing a proper 3.5 to 4-inch suspension lift, I'm not sure if I would want to run 35's or 37's. If that's the case then I would be doing a re-gear too and a probable front axle upgrade since I have a D30. I have a kid that will be going to college in another year and I'm not sure how far I can go down the money hole just yet. If I like and decide to keep the same height that I have now, I would like to get a proper 2.5 inch suspension lift and ditch the spacers.

I might consider 33x12.50 tires at some point, but I think the size that I have will do a bit better in the snow and ice. There was a bit of rubbing on the sway bar with my current tires, but it's not too bad. The spacers will eliminate that for me.

Someone also asked about just getting wheels with different backspacing. I would have considered that, but I like the stock wheels and I don't want to buy new ones just yet. I was also able to find a set of high quality Spidertrax spacers from a local seller. I paid 100 dollars for all four. If I was paying closer to retail cost at 260 for the set then I would be on the way to a set of decent steel rims. For me decisions like this have a lot of give and take.

In regard to whether or not spacers are safe, I think that's something that everyone has to research and decide on for themselves. I think it definitely takes a bit more maintenance and looking out after your suspension. Once they are on there and installed properly they shouldn't come off, but I will still check on them every once in a while still.

Reactions: Threepointsix
I wanted the spacers for a few reasons. The main reason is for the look. To me, it looks so much better with the tires sticking out just a bit. The other reason is that it buys me some time as I decide where I want to go with my build.
Thank you for the detailed response. That is the exact same size of tire that is on her Jeep and sounds like the same issue with hitting the sway bar. Funny, those are the same spacers I looked at. With the 2” spacer lift did besides shocks did you do anything else, caster correction, brake line relocation etc.? Understand about college, had one just graduate from CC and one who goes on and off and one HS senior this year (and two behind her). Trying to figure out options at this point as to not damage anything when she does take it off road with travel distance and hitting the fenders if we go with different rims or spacers.

@Danarch, For sure! It's fun to talk over these kinds of things. As of right now I'm checking Craigslist and Facebook marketplace every day for parts and things that I want that aren't too expensive. I just got back from picking up a hard top hoist for my garage. The fella I bought it from works at one of our local Jeep dealership parts counters. I was telling him about my Jeep and He mentioned that he's done some trail rides with demo vehicles. He said a lot of them had 33's and did most everything that they wanted them to do on the trails. Obviously, you'll get more performance out of your rig the more that you build, but it made me realize that I might be in a good place for now with the kind of wheeling that I do. I had a very built TJ and I never really used it to its full potential. Of course if funds were unlimited then I'd have a brand new Rubicon. That's not the case, c'est la vie.

I bought the Jeep with the spacer lift already on it. From what I can see I have the spacers, longer shocks, extended swaybar links, and bump stop extensions. Since I don't have adjustable control arms I can't correct driveline angles. I could be speaking out of turn here, but I think that's why they say 2 to 2.5 inches is all that you should do with a spacer lift. Otherwise, you need adjustable control arms so that you can correct the caster angle as needed. Mine doesn't have a brake line kit either. I have seen some of the smaller lifts that come with brake line relocation brackets. I could see the chance of overcompressing the springs or having tires rubbing if you don't have the right bump stops.

I'm considering cutting the fender flares. This is one of the videos that cuts painted flares like I have.

1630968984438.png

Oh, and good luck with your kids in school. I'm right behind you!

The value of the tires on the wheels divide by 2.

On my TJ I replace 4 wheels with aluminum with excellent AT tires for $200.

Last edited: