Soft top zipper woes (mice)

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got our soft top out for the season yesterday. A mouse got into the bundle over the winter and ate a couple of millimeters out of the middle of one of the side window zippers. Not on the window, which I could replace - but on the top. Other than sending the whole thing back to Bestop for repair, I would like to be able to repair it enough so that it's usable - I got the window in by being careful, but it's a PITA to take out and put back in again.

Maybe I can get Bestop to at least sell me the zipper and I can try sewing it in.

JIM in NH

Got our soft top out for the season yesterday. A mouse got into the bundle over the winter and ate a couple of millimeters out of the middle of one of the side window zippers. Not on the window, which I could replace - but on the top. Other than sending the whole thing back to Bestop for repair, I would like to be able to repair it enough so that it's usable - I got the window in by being careful, but it's a PITA to take out and put back in again.

Maybe I can get Bestop to at least sell me the zipper and I can try sewing it in.

JIM in NH

Sounds almost like if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. LOL

Might be worth a try calling them.

I wrote to customer service just now and will probably call them - need to go get my soft top part no, etc. first.

Reactions: mrjp
So much for BestTop customer service. Chat not working on site, not answering calls or 45 min wait times, and no response to email after a week. i realize this is a busy time of year for them, but c'mon...

• Sad
So much for BestTop customer service. Chat not working on site, not answering calls or 45 min wait times, and no response to email after a week. i realize this is a busy time of year for them, but c'mon...
Try Village Canvas in Meredith or 125 Canvas and Upholstery in Brentwood.

Thanks Master Chief. I appreciate the tips.

Do you know these shops or are you just googling? I see you are from NC, not NH...

I have some sail making experience myself, and am tempted to just order a zipper and try my own hand at this.

JIM in NH (US Navy veteran, LT AUXO on LST 1192)

LOL - I just got two emails from Bestop Customer Service telling me that they have higher than normal call volumes, and cannot get to my email, but please call their 800 number (which i have also tried - super long wait times or just no answer). 3 weeks to tell me that they cannot answer.

• Face Palm
  • Wow
Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
LOL - I just got two emails from Bestop Customer Service telling me that they have higher than normal call volumes, and cannot get to my email, but please call their 800 number (which i have also tried - super long wait times or just no answer). 3 weeks to tell me that they cannot answer.
Not on topic - But I sent Bestop an email about a shipping date in early April - I got a response yesterday about calling in vs. waiting for an email (almost a month later)! Haha!

So is the world we live in right now ... Lots of demand, not a lot of product. Good luck with your zipper

Thanks Master Chief. I appreciate the tips.

Do you know these shops or are you just googling? I see you are from NC, not NH...

I have some sail making experience myself, and am tempted to just order a zipper and try my own hand at this.

JIM in NH (US Navy veteran, LT AUXO on LST 1192)
I work with a guy who is from NH and a boat guy, so I asked.

Hope you have a pretty heavy duty canvas-weight sewing machine (I had a canvas shop on a ship I served from 77-80).

Flat-bottom, eh? I used to watch those old LSTs leaving San Diego and as soon as they cleared buoy 1SD they were rolling like dice in Las Vegas. Good on ya, LT!

LHA-1, AD-15; CV-61, 63, 64; CG-52, AS-41, CG-63.

Jeep Ass.jpg