Skid plate removal

rosswmiller

Just bought a 2010 Sport and have been working on changing all lubricants. I'm down to the xfer case and when trying to remove the skid plate, I'm having issues removing the two rear bolts. While these bolts didn't break off (was my fear), instead what the bolts connect into has disintegrated into a pile of rust, leaving the bolt to turn freely but remain in place. I realize I'll probably have to cut to bolts off but what to do next? Has anyone else had to repair/recover from this kind of rust issue. I saw something on a TJ forum regarding nut-serts and a link to purchase but these were all TJ specific.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

It's also a great time to upgrade the skid plate, at least that's what I tell the wife, lmao.
I have my wife prepped for the upgrade, do you have a recommendation for a replacement for the factory (xfer case) skid? Once I finally get the damn thing off, I don't really feel like putting this one back on...

I ordered a oil transmission and transfer case skid plate from RockHard4x4, The arrived last week and look really good. I believe I’ll actually pick up little clearance at the transfer case as it appears a little more flush. Quick shipment and responsive.

They are separate skid plates.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp
I ordered a oil transmission and transfer case skid plate from RockHard4x4, The arrived last week and look really good. I believe I’ll actually pick up little clearance at the transfer case as it appears a little more flush. Quick shipment and responsive.

They are separate skid plates.
I'll take a look.

Thanks.