Skid plate recommendations

Fargo

Sorry to make a simple post without doing my research first. I'm sure the topic has been covered. I'm just a little pressed for time and trying to make some decisions before a trip. So what is the best recommendation for an engine skid for a 2013 JK with the 10th Anniversary/Hardrock package. I think all I need to cover is the engine oil pan and part of transmission. I think my 10A edition has the rest covered by factory. Skid plates I have considered are the Quadratec, Rock Hard, and Undercover Fab. The Quadratec is currently the most appealing. Any feedback on these skidplates is appreciated.

I’ve been real happy with the Rock Hard products. Have there engine / transmission and transfer case skids on three different JK’s. One is a Rubi HR.

Also have their rock rails on one, nice setup.

I've been eyeing up the Quadratec . It's a well built looking unit .
Reasonably priced . With a sizeable removable "hatch" for oil changes .
The shiny silver painted aluminum underneath is a bonus
No rust to worry about and lighter than steel .

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I like the design of the quadratec 'hatch' for oils changes too. I'm kinda torn on aluminum vs steel. I like light weight, but I expect steel slides across rocks better where aluminum is more likely to gouge and get hung up on rocks. But I'm not in rocks too oftern and weight savings is always good. The Quadratech skid is probably my first choice. But I'd still love to hear other peoples experiences.

I prefer the steel skids. As you said the aluminum can gouge pretty easy. I worked on semi-trailers for a few years. The bottom and top rails were aluminum and we were repairing them fairly often due to gouges / slices in them.

I think it depends "steel vs aluminum " on the type or terrain you will generally
encounter in your area . Lots of big pointy rocks maybe steel would be better .
Stumps, logs, rounder rocks aluminum .
There will always be different rock style formations in every area .
I'm just speaking more general terms and what you usually see .
I've seen videos of guys doing Rubi Trail which can be considered extreme.
Some aluminum , some steel . They're both worked with no hang ups .