Seized Sway Bar Disconnect Repair

TargetOz

I purchased my Rubicon and wondered why it didn’t disconnect. My first thoughts were that the internal connector was seized, well upon inspection it was, but that’s kind of an easy fix, pull apart, wire wheel all the rusty parts reassemble with grease. But my problem was the bearings in the disconnect housing halves were seized so basically buy a new complete bar…or fix it. So have a look at the pictures for some reference.

What I’ve done was dissemble both halves and face them down then everyday for a few weeks I’ve sprayed WD40 at the seals so that the fluid soaks down into the seized bearings. Then start to tap the halves back and forth with a hammer to get things moving. After 2 weeks I’ve managed to get it to move 3”. Soak with WD40 again but next time you attempt to move it to loosen up the bearings place the housing/s in a vice and start working on moving the bar this time.

Once you get it fully moving you will need to clean the rusty mud out so spray lots of cleaning fluid like brake cleaner etc then once it’s clean finish off by putting in more WD40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrjp
Nice job. Did you replace the bearings? Pictures !!!!
No, I’m hoping to fully recover the bearings as it looks like I need a 3 legged puller to pull the connect gears off to get to the bearings, that’sa lot more work, but it may be a necessity will tell in time.

Quick update, success! Full rotations, not long now will be good as new

image.jpg

Attachments

• 65096458978__9B678518-4E6A-475E-9F3F-864CCD63C5BB.MOV
    5.1 MB
Update on my sway bar repair, all good now reassembling and posting a vid of gasket making

image.jpg

Attachments

• 65234613066__CF34AF98-71FE-435C-90F6-4555A52B056F.MOV
    5.9 MB
  • 65234715925__7815E753-3C20-490F-90B1-34C178222F4F.MOV
    1.8 MB
And the finished product, PS I used engine oil as the lubricant for the disconnect gears because grease is too heavy and eventually will slow down the operations as the grease gets old. Engine oil is a lot like the oil you use in your gearbox except thinner.

I just took mine off honestly as we are going to be lifted 2" soon, its a fun ride when he wind gets ahold.
I wanted to remove mine too but worried about insurance issues if in an accident (here in Oz) but have discussed whether or not sway bars are good or bad for axle articulation. The guy I chatted with reckoned that having them on was better for articulation, still don’t know how that is possible, and then you watch YouTube vids on fitting after market sway bars like they help with off roading, if that were the case why do comp rigs not use them? By virtue of design they are anti roll bars which are designed to prevent axle articulation.,.excuse me for having a chat with myself LOL!!!!

Reactions: PellstonJKR
I wanted to remove mine too but worried about insurance issues if in an accident (here in Oz) but have discussed whether or not sway bars are good or bad for axle articulation. The guy I chatted with reckoned that having them on was better for articulation, still don’t know how that is possible, and then you watch YouTube vids on fitting after market sway bars like they help with off roading, if that were the case why do comp rigs not use them? By virtue of design they are anti roll bars which are designed to prevent axle articulation.,.excuse me for having a chat with myself LOL!!!!
you're good, with the rear sway bars disconnected is worse for articulation but the fronts are better for travel in my small experience. I didn't think of insurance, as I said before errr, mine are still on *cough* cough* lol