Seat belt indicator comes on when buckled

I suspect that either there is a fuse issue in the fuse box, or there could be something in the buckle part that isn't allowing the snap in, to make contact with the buckle. One thing you can try is to snap the seat belt from the drivers side to the passenger side to see if still makes contact. if so, you may have to replace the buckle part mounted on the drivers side of the floor.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp
I just read on another Forum that someone else was having the same issue and they unplugged the connector under the seat and then jumped the 2 wires together so the dinger would think the seat belt was buckled. They said no more problems after doing that.

Last edited:
I just read on another Forum that someone else was having the same issue and they unplugged the connector under the seat and then jumped the 2 wires together so the dinger would think the seat belt was buckled. They said no more problems after doing that.
Can you elaborate more on that?

First things first-
Try buckling the seat belt with an empty seat, because the seat belt sensor has 2 parts. The first part of the sensor is the OCS weight sensor, or "bladder" that detects weight in the seat. If the alarm is going off with no weight in the seat and the seat belt buckled, the buckle sensor is not the issue. Eliminate this first.

I put a shot of wd40 in the buckle and snapped it a few times so far it stopped the problem ( bad ground?)
Wish I would have seen this 2 hours ago. Should have been the first thing I tried.
I found a picture of the jumper hack and spent a hour removing 6 years of mold wet garbage out from under my seat. I guess my soft top was leaking worse than I thought. Then I spent another hour trying to get the connector apart and out where I could work on it. 1 minute to do the paperclip hack.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
Can you elaborate more on that?

From what I read else where you unplug the connector for the seatbelt, and the harness that goes to the dash you take a wire and make a connection for the 2 terminals in the connector. That way it makes a complete circuit like the seatbelt would when it's buckled.

Or just cut the wires from the connector and connect them together.

Well I found a picture and detailed description ( sometimes I need some hand holding) on what to do.
I got it done and took it for a test drive and it seems to be working.

Ok keep us informed in case someone else would have the problem, you just jumped to wires together?

Ok keep us informed in case someone else would have the problem, you just jumped to wires together?
I found a picture ( I can't find it now) that showed the connector and it had a paper clip with one side sticking into the connector alongside the black wire and the other side of the paper clip sticking into the connector along side the green wire.
So basically creating a jumper.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I found a picture ( I can't find it now) that showed the connector and it had a paper clip with one side sticking into the connector alongside the black wire and the other side of the paper clip sticking into the connector along side the green wire.

Basically the same idea.

And possibly a fire...paperclips are not designed to be part of electrical systems, just sayin’.

And possibly a fire...paperclips are not designed to be part of electrical systems, just sayin’.
Very true, but I found coated paper clips and it is a low voltage.
I drove around with the paper clip in for a hour long drive and reached under my seat to feel the paperclip and there was no heat.
This is a temporary fix, until I can get into the dealer to get it fixed right.
Appointments are a month out, and my sanity would not last that long listening to the constant ding.

Why would you pay probably about $200 to $300 for the Dealer to fix something that's not really needed?

Do you have a better solution?
I consider the paper clip a temporary patch.
I wouldn't ever consider driving my Jeep without a seat belt on, but others do need the reminder.
His solution was to cut the wires or make a jumper. His solution doesn't involve fixing the issue causing the problem, so naturally he would find it strange to read that you want to actually fix the problem. 😂

I believe you should do whatever you see fit, if it were me, I’d diagnose it or have the dealer diagnose it and apply a permanent fix action.

I thought the problem was just the seatbelt reminder wouldn't go off even when the seatbelt was buckled? Everyone should know to buckle up by now and don't need to be reminded. But it's your vehicle do whatever you think is best.

I thought the problem was just the seatbelt reminder wouldn't go off even when the seatbelt was buckled? Everyone should know to buckle up by now and don't need to be reminded. But it's your vehicle do whatever you think is best.
If it was just the light on the dash, it wouldn't be as much a problem as the audible ding, ding that never stopped.
It only takes few minutes before it became intolerable, even with the windows down and music up.

Someone elsewhere suggested a 10 or 12 gu. wire with proper insulation on it instead of a paper clip.
So there is that too.

I do appreciate any and all suggestions offered.