Road Trip Out West

DogsandDirtTrails

Hey this is my first post here, I'm new to the jeep life. I just got a 2011 JKU sport and its great. I am planning a road trip out west from north carolina and I wanted to get any body else's input on where to go and what I should do to my jeep before I head out there. Right now I want to be able to get to Denver area and then head to the Tetons and yellowstone. Any places you are all familiar with that I can take the jeep out to would be awesome as well as any tips to get the jeep set up. Pretty sure its stock size, no lift, and stock tires. I want to get new tires before I leave or on my way out- any advice on what tires to look for?? I'd like to do 33's on the jeep.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

What are you planning on doing with the Jeep? In stock form I don't think I'd want to actually go wheeling it, but more or less just exploring off the beaten path. It will be just fine in stock form for that.

Moab is of course a top destination, but there are also many, many places here in Arizona, California (i.e. Johnson Valley), Colorado, and all over. The west is really a beautiful place and there are just countless numbers of places to explore. Even in Arizona alone, I can't even begin to tell you how many beautiful, scenic wheeling / exploring spots there are.

For 33s I would recommend a good A/T tire such as the Goodyear Duratrac or BFG KO2. You're going to need a 2.5" lift to run 33s and maintain factory up-travel limits.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
What are you planning on doing with the Jeep? In stock form I don't think I'd want to actually go wheeling it, but more or less just exploring off the beaten path. It will be just fine in stock form for that.
I mostly just want to be able get off the beaten path and find some places to camp out for a night or two. Not looking to get into any rock climbing or serious mudding out there. MOAB was on my list. Might try to get to MOAB and Arches after Denver then decide to go North to yellowstone or south to arizona/grand canyon.

Reactions: Chris
I agree with Chris- a good set of A/T tires and a minor lift will allow you to do some fun overlanding without going too extreme. I would also recommend upgrading headlights and fogs because there's nothing worse than night driving with stock Chrysler headlights.
Are the dogs going with? If so, this is the bed I have 4 of in my house for my 2 guys:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2VB54O/?tag=jkforum-20

It fits perfectly in the back at 44" x 35" and my bags go on top in the Smittybilt Defender rack along with the wife. Me and the dogs have all kinds of room. (kidding).

1603717449034.jpeg

Also, try this to find your level of off-road comfort.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/wyoming/off-road-driving

Reactions: mrjp
If you stay on paved roads you will be fine with stock wheels, it is also efficient in gas.
4 doors are always comfy against the 2 doors and so good luck and have fun.