Remote key not unlocking or locking doors.

TargetOz

My remote door key doesn’t work. I’ve replaced the battery and tried to open the doors remotely and nothing happens. Is there some way to program the key or something? I’ve tried looking in my owners manual but it says something about dealership key programming, it’s not a new key so I’m wondering if it just maybe a blown fuse or something like that. Appreciate your input.

I found this on another JK forum. Might want to try and give it a shot and let us know what happens.

This sounds like an issue with the WCM (Wireless Control Module). It is mounted under the plastic behind the steering wheel between the dash and the wheel (left of ignition key hole). It controls the remote key entry (RKE), ignition key programming and remote start. There's also an antenna that connects to the WCM. The cable could be lose or shorted. I would first try to reset it and see if that helps.

The WCM can be reset by either: disconnecting and then reconnect the battery negative cable at the battery, or by removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting 30 seconds, and reinstall the IOD fuse.

If a reset doesn't work, only a dealer can replace the module. The ECM and all keys have to be reprogrammed when the module is replaced or the Jeep will not start. It is solid state and susceptible to static electricity that can travel through the key when inserting it into the ignition.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
When I bought my JK my doors wouldn't open with the remote and found the fuse was missing, might check to see if yours is missing or blown. Also the PO might have set them not to work with the remote, your manual tells you how to change the settings for them to operate.

I found this on another JK forum. Might want to try and give it a shot and let us know what happens.

This sounds like an issue with the WCM (Wireless Control Module). It is mounted under the plastic behind the steering wheel between the dash and the wheel (left of ignition key hole). It controls the remote key entry (RKE), ignition key programming and remote start. There's also an antenna that connects to the WCM. The cable could be lose or shorted. I would first try to reset it and see if that helps.

The WCM can be reset by either: disconnecting and then reconnect the battery negative cable at the battery, or by removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting 30 seconds, and reinstall the IOD fuse.

If a reset doesn't work, only a dealer can replace the module. The ECM and all keys have to be reprogrammed when the module is replaced or the Jeep will not start. It is solid state and susceptible to static electricity that can travel through the key when inserting it into the ignition.
Would you be able to point me the way to the IOD fuse please.

When I bought my JK my doors wouldn't open with the remote and found the fuse was missing, might check to see if yours is missing or blown. Also the PO might have set them not to work with the remote, your manual tells you how to change the settings for them to operate.
Could you please tell me what PO means,

Reactions: TargetOz

PS if the fuse has been removed, why would someone do that?