Radiator woes

ncfitton

Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just installed my third radiator in 65,000 miles. Prestone dexcool got me from 35000 to 65000.

this time I super flushed the whole system and I’m going back to mopar coolant.

BD920472-DC0D-4EC4-A80A-E376F819B3F4.jpeg

My first lasted 74K, on my 2nd OEM at about 30K, was going to upgrade but read a lot of bad reviews so stuck with the OEM. First one didn’t look as bad as yours, only had a pin hole on the driver side upper seam.

Is this happening because of frame flex? I have not heard of another Chrysler product with this many Rad failures. Has anybody experimented with a floating mount of some sort?

Are these OEM radiators you're going through this fast?

If so, that's crazy. The Mopar radiators for the TJ last upwards of 100k miles and 10 plus years very, very easily.

From what I gather it seems that the JKs have inherent radiator issues based on everything I've read. Sad, because this isn't the case at all with the factory radiators on the TJ. They must have cut some corners it seems.

I don’t think the second radiator was Mopar. It failed in my first month of ownership and my local mechanic replaced it for me. I couldn’t find any Mopar branding on it. The unit I just put in was Mopar.

my research suggest the systemic failure of JK radiators is related to block casting sand residue not being cleaned out during some manufacturing years.

the good news is they are pretty easy to replace.

Are these OEM radiators you're going through this fast?

If so, that's crazy. The Mopar radiators for the TJ last upwards of 100k miles and 10 plus years very, very easily.

From what I gather it seems that the JKs have inherent radiator issues based on everything I've read. Sad, because this isn't the case at all with the factory radiators on the TJ. They must have cut some corners it seems.
I know I’ve got a tiny leak somewhere in my system, judging by the slight antifreeze scent after long rides and my reservoir slooowly losing coolant. And thus far the issues I’ve had since owning my JKU (knock on wood) have been with the cooling system. Still loving my TJ more.

Reactions: Chris
I know I’ve got a tiny leak somewhere in my system, judging by the slight antifreeze scent after long rides and my reservoir slooowly losing coolant. And thus far the issues I’ve had since owning my JKU (knock on wood) have been with the cooling system. Still loving my TJ more.
I'm starting to get the same smell but no coolant loss at 60k miles on 2012.. I'll be taking to a custom Rad shop here in town and making a good one for the same cost as OEM.. I've helped buddy's change a few on JK's over the years..

Reactions: Threepointsix
I don’t think the second radiator was Mopar. It failed in my first month of ownership and my local mechanic replaced it for me. I couldn’t find any Mopar branding on it. The unit I just put in was Mopar.

my research suggest the systemic failure of JK radiators is related to block casting sand residue not being cleaned out during some manufacturing years.

the good news is they are pretty easy to replace.

The casting sand is an issue as well. This doesnt ruin the radiator but it does ruin the heater core.

Reactions: mrjp
I'm starting to get the same smell but no coolant loss at 60k miles on 2012.. I'll be taking to a custom Rad shop here in town and making a good one for the same cost as OEM.. I've helped buddy's change a few on JK's over the years..
Mopar being the ‘best’ for our Jeeps, what would be the difference of a custom one? Guessing a better warranty or performance / longevity?