Project Detonator - My 2016 JKUR Hard Rock Edition

I installed the redarc as well and still can't get it to work. I already had the 4-pin, so installed a 7-pin adapter. Ran ground to bumper. Power straight to battery, and blue to the redarc.

Nice looking Jeep. Was scrolling threw your earlier posts .
You been on some awesome adventures with the family !
This is a diff Jeep than the one you have serious build going on .

Reactions: Qaddiction
I installed the redarc as well and still can't get it to work. I already had the 4-pin, so installed a 7-pin adapter. Ran ground to bumper. Power straight to battery, and blue to the redarc.
Looking at your wiring, did you run a wire from the Redarc controller to a brake wire? I tapped into the brake wire just above the brake pedal. It's a pain to get to.

Nice looking Jeep. Was scrolling threw your earlier posts .
You been on some awesome adventures with the family !
This is a diff Jeep than the one you have serious build going on .
Yes, I have a problem. :p

I have 3 Jeeps now. I started with a TJ that was supposed to be for my son. He ended up not wanting it and it has snowballed from there. I made some modifications to it, but really wanted to do some wheeling out west. I figured a 4 door with air conditioning would work a lot better. So the TJ became my daily and I bought this red JKU. While building it, I really tried to fight off building it too big because I wanted it more for overlanding while pulling a small trailer. I just about have it where I want it. Only a few more tweaks. But the inner child in me always wanted something bigger.

I've been busting my butt working 2 jobs so I can build the 3rd Jeep (black JKU). I have the Fusion 60/80 axles on order. I'm hoping to have them by December. That's when that build will start progressing. I can't wait!

Looking at your wiring, did you run a wire from the Redarc controller to a brake wire? I tapped into the brake wire just above the brake pedal. It's a pain to get to.
Yeah I sure did. Getting 12v when depressing the pedal. I thought about hooking up to someone else's trailer to rule the jeep out.

Had a few small things to do on Detonator. I bought a set of Rock Slide Engineering gen 3 step sliders for Vader. Northridge was running a special for a free tailgate table with a step slider purchase. So I took the time to install the table today. It was super easy and looks pretty good.

The next project was a huge pain! Rock Slide Engineering has a retrofit for their gen 2 step sliders. I ordered those springs and completed that project. I've never thought that I had big hands, but wow, talk about tight spaces. I eventually got both sides done, but there may have been a swear word, or two. Good thing the family was in the house. Lol

Next, I addressed the front seat height, My wife isn't the shortest, but she will sit on a pillow when driving. Some of that has to do with the Vector dash bar. So I inserted some spacers. I raised the front 1.5" and the back 1/2". I'll probably have to raise the back another 1/2", but I wanted to try it at this height first.

I also rotated the tires and realigned the front.

20230305_092051.jpg

20230305_092130.jpg

20230305_184641.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished up adding some rock lights and chase lights tonight. Sadly, I have had these rock lights mounted for a few months. I just never took the time to wire them up. I have 8 of the KC Cyclone clear lights underneath. I took some pictures with my head lights off so I could see exactly how much light I was getting. They light things up pretty well.

After watching an episode of Trail Recon, i always wanted to add a couple of the amber KC Cyclone Lights to the back of the rig. It was a fairly straight forward install. These look like they will be easily visible in heavy dust or fog.

I felt a sense of accomplishment after tonight. I was happy to be finished wiring for one thing. I even ran all of the wiring for my next project for this vehicle. Another thing that I have had sitting in the garage for months. Once I get around to that install, I think I will be done.

20230322_164423.jpg

20230322_164452.jpg

20230322_164515.jpg

20230322_202705.jpg

20230322_202758.jpg

20230322_202733.jpg

Just finished up adding some rock lights and chase lights tonight. Sadly, I have had these rock lights mounted for a few months. I just never took the time to wire them up. I have 8 of the KC Cyclone clear lights underneath. I took some pictures with my head lights off so I could see exactly how much light I was getting. They light things up pretty well.

After watching an episode of Trail Recon, i always wanted to add a couple of the amber KC Cyclone Lights to the back of the rig. It was a fairly straight forward install. These look like they will be easily visible in heavy dust or fog.

I felt a sense of accomplishment after tonight. I was happy to be finished wiring for one thing. I even ran all of the wiring for my next project for this vehicle. Another thing that I have had sitting in the garage for months. Once I get around to that install, I think I will be done.

View attachment 123989

View attachment 123990

View attachment 123991

View attachment 123992

View attachment 123993

View attachment 123994

Looks awesome . Adding 6-8
Cyclone V2 as well to my Jeep for perimeter lighting .
That’s a great idea mounting to the rear window hinge .
I may end up copying that . If I do you will get full credit for that one . Genius !!

Last edited:
Looks awesome . Adding 6-8
Cyclone V2 as well to my Jeep for perimeter lighting .
That’s a great idea mounting to the rear window hinge .
I may end up copying that . If I do you will get full credit for that one . Genius !!
I can't take credit for that idea either! I saw it on a Trail Recon video. In that video Brad even mentioned he saw it somewhere else as well. I'm a much better copier than I am a creator! lol

However, I do like the location for them and it was an easy install overall. I did have issues getting those hinge covers off though. I actually broke both of them trying to remove them. I ended up ordering 2 new ones on ebay for $15. That's why the covers and lights look clean in the picture. lol

I can't take credit for that idea either! I saw it on a Trail Recon video. In that video Brad even mentioned he saw it somewhere else as well. I'm a much better copier than I am a creator! lol

However, I do like the location for them and it was an easy install overall. I did have issues getting those hinge covers off though. I actually broke both of them trying to remove them. I ended up ordering 2 new ones on ebay for $15. That's why the covers and lights look clean in the picture. lol

Brad & Trail Recon has some pretty
informative videos to go along with
their off road stuff.

Reactions: mrjp and Qaddiction
Two years ago I was lucky enough to make the trip to Moab, UT. While there, we ran the Elephant Hill trail (still my favorite trail to this date). However, I also was extremely close on running out of gas. Foolishly, we were by ourselves and didn't have any extra gas. It wasn't long after that I decided to buy the Rebel Off Road Blackout Window Storage Ver. 2.0 w/ Rigid Lights Upgrade.

Well, here I am just a few weeks away from heading back to Moab. That has pushed me to finally get these installed! It took a little time, but I was able to remove the back hardtop windows. Cleaned up the surrounding area and installed the metal panels. I can now pack an extra 4 gallons of gas and have quite a bit of light off either side for help setting up camp in the dark, or whatever else may be the need.

20230622_191751.jpg
20230622_191805.jpg
20230628_120137.jpg
20230628_120108.jpg
20230628_120115.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago I was lucky enough to make the trip to Moab, UT. While there, we ran the Elephant Hill trail (still my favorite trail to this date). However, I also was extremely close on running out of gas. Foolishly, we were by ourselves and didn't have any spare. It wasn't long after that I decided to buy the Rebel Off Road Blackout Window Storage Ver. 2.0 w/ Rigid Lights Upgrade.

Well, here I am just a few weeks away from heading back to Moab. That has pushed me to finally get these installed! It took a little time, but I was able to remove the back hardtop windows. Cleaned up the surrounding area and installed the metal panels. I can now pack an extra 4 gallons of gas and have quite a bit of light off either side for help setting up camp in the dark, or whatever else may be the need.

View attachment 124696View attachment 124697View attachment 124698View attachment 124699View attachment 124700

That looks really good !! Like the roto pax cans . So many mounting options .
I came close to running out of gas a couple times . Fuel gauge can be inaccurate when going up or down a loooong summit trail .
So been thinking of a rear mount Roto Pax . But that side window mount is sic !!
Do you find when shoulder checking you miss that window on passenger side ?

On a side note . How’s your trail rig coming along . Last we heard was at the shop getting axles etc installed .

That looks really good !! Like the roto pax cans . So many mounting options .
I came close to running out of gas a couple times . Fuel gauge can be inaccurate when going up or down a loooong summit trail .
So been thinking of a rear mount Roto Pax . But that side window mount is sic !!
Do you find when shoulder checking you miss that window on passenger side ?

On a side note . How’s your trail rig coming along . Last we heard was at the shop getting axles etc installed .
I'll be able to give you a better answer on the blind spot after I drive it a few more times. The obvious answer is I lost some viewing area. However, I got to thinking, when I am out on an excursion, the back is packed to the ceiling. I can't see out of them anyway. I realize it's not always packed, but we will see how it goes. I'll try to remember to report back on that one!

Trail rig: not much of an update unfortunately. It's still at the shop. I have not harassed them, but here is what I do know. The rear trackbar was binding while flexing. So I was told they were going to fabricate a rear trackbar. At the same time we also talked about the elusive J8 master cylinder and brake booster. The shop said that the stock master cylinder works, but doesn't work real well. So my best guess is we are waiting on a solution for the brakes. Maybe I'll stop in and ask some questions this weekend.

I'll be able to give you a better answer on the blind spot after I drive it a few more times. The obvious answer is I lost some viewing area. However, I got to thinking, when I am out on an excursion, the back is packed to the ceiling. I can't see out of them anyway. I realize it's not always packed, but we will see how it goes. I'll try to remember to report back on that one!

Trail rig: not much of an update unfortunately. It's still at the shop. I have not harassed them, but here is what I do know. The rear trackbar was binding while flexing. So I was told they were going to fabricate a rear trackbar. At the same time we also talked about the elusive J8 master cylinder and brake booster. The shop said that the stock master cylinder works, but doesn't work real well. So my best guess is we are waiting on a solution for the brakes. Maybe I'll stop in and ask some questions this weekend.

I was curious about the blind spot question myself . So really paid attn to the viewing area when shoulder checking .
With myself I found 95 percent was more viewing through the rear passenger side window . The rear back passenger window was more
peripheral than anything else so don’t think that setup will be any sort of visual problem .
Looks so cool . Did you do both sides ?

Yes , if I remember correctly the axles came with oversize rotors . Def can see the need for a master cylinder upgrade .