Problem with SKIM

my99gtx

This is going to be long, so I apologize in advance!

We bought out daughter a '07 JK. It did not come with fog lamps, so I bought a factory bumper cover and was going to add a toggle switch under the steering column. I disconnected the battery and got everything wired up with no issues. When I put the battery back in, the horn started to beep and the gauge cluster started to flash. I put the key in the ignition and it started and it ran for a second and turn off. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a hour and it did the same thing when I reconnected it. After the 3rd time, it stopped, but the Jeep would no longer run for a second. When I go to start it, the gauge cluster energizes, but the Jeep will not crank.

I took the Jeep to the dealership to get a new key cut and programmed (thinking my only key lost it's program). The dealership was able to delete the pin from the SKIM, but it would not let it re-program it. They tried several times. They called Jeep HQ and they said they never saw this issue before. The dealership had no clue on how to fix it and they told me come and pick it up. They did not want to work on a 12 year old Jeep.

I took the SKIM module out of the steering column and had my PCM re-programmed to get the SKIM program deleted. Put the PCM back in and it is still doing the same thing. The gauge cluster energizes, but the Jeep will not start. We removed the starter relay in the fuse box and put a jumper in and the starter was engaged and tried to start the Jeep but it would not. We also replaced the ignition control module on the steering column with the same result.

I do not know where to go from here. Should I try to ground the wire for clutch starter interlock switch (allowing me to start the jeep without pressing the clutch) or something else?

How did any of this happen in the first place? You were adding fog lights using your own aftermarket wiring, correct? Were you tapping into any of the factory wiring?

This is way over my pay grade when it comes to programing SKIM and getting that stuff to work. You'd be wise to find a shop (not a dealer) that specializes in Jeeps and have them take a look at it. Tell them the issue beforehand in detail. If they have a tech who is good with stuff like this, my guess is they will know how to fix it.

Reactions: BigAL07
How did any of this happen in the first place? You were adding fog lights using your own aftermarket wiring, correct? Were you tapping into any of the factory wiring?

This is way over my pay grade when it comes to programing SKIM and getting that stuff to work. You'd be wise to find a shop (not a dealer) that specializes in Jeeps and have them take a look at it. Tell them the issue beforehand in detail. If they have a tech who is good with stuff like this, my guess is they will know how to fix it.

It all started when I took the battery out to install the fog lamp wiring and reinstalled the battery. The fog lamps were not hooked up when I reinstalled the battery, just the wires were ran through the Jeep. I disconnected the battery to ensure nothing was accidentally shorted, etc.

It all started when I took the battery out to install the fog lamp wiring and reinstalled the battery. The fog lamps were not hooked up when I reinstalled the battery, just the wires were ran through the Jeep. I disconnected the battery to ensure nothing was accidentally shorted, etc.

The mystery has been solved after 4 long months. When the SKIM module was removed from the steering column, it left an open circuit. Power was going into the steer column, but nothing was coming out when you tried to the start the engine. With the SKIM program removed from the PCM, I did not think the SKIM module was required. Low and be hold, I was wrong. We plugged the SKIM module back in on the steering column, it closed the open circuit, and the Jeep fired right up.

Lesson learned, if you get the SKIM program deleted from your PCM so you do not have to use a Century Key, you will still need the SKIM module so the circuit can be closed.

• Wow
Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
The mystery has been solved after 4 long months. When the SKIM module was removed from the steering column, it left an open circuit. Power was going into the steer column, but nothing was coming out when you tried to the start the engine. With the SKIM program removed from the PCM, I did not think the SKIM module was required. Low and be hold, I was wrong. We plugged the SKIM module back in on the steering column, it closed the open circuit, and the Jeep fired right up.

Lesson learned, if you get the SKIM program deleted from your PCM so you do not have to use a Century Key, you will still need the SKIM module so the circuit can be closed.

Thanks a million for sharing this! I know this is going to be one of those things where someone stumbles upon this 10 years from now and it helps them tremendously.

I guess this just proves that once again, Ockham's Razor is almost always right. The simplest explanation tends to usually end up being the correct one.

Reactions: BigAL07
I have a question in regards to the skim removel. I'm going through this right now and it's getting my goat.
I used a mail order skim removel company to remove the skim. I unplugged my WCM as instructed. However, nothing works as if the PCM is not getting power. As soon as I plug in the WCM, everything goes back to normal. I have not done this with the PCM that has the skim removel out of fear of the PCM reactivating the skim function. Please advise.
Thank you.
2007 Wrangler Manuel Transmission

I realize that it has been a while since this post was written; however, I have a clarifying question. When you say you plugged the SKIM back into the steering column did you leave the plug wire out or did you reconnect the plug wire into the SKIM?

Last edited: