Power stop brake issue

3v3ryday3ric

Hello, I installed new Power Stop rear pads and rotors two weeks ago on my 2017 JKU. Since then I went wheeling locally and have driven to work daily (which is only 3 miles away) and I only go 30-40 mph tops to work. I hadn't driven on the highway all week. No issues. Just did the front brakes a few days ago and went up the highway and could smell a strong burning smell. Got to my friend's house and drivers rear was smoking and had a strong metallic burning smell. Other rear and both fronts were totally fine. We popped off the tire, caliper and rotor and checked it all out, caliper not sticking, slides lubed and seem to be working fine, ebrake shoes aren't too tight to the rotor, it came off fairly easily. No issues found. No rocks or anything obvious stuck anywhere. Reassembled and it wasn't smoking anymore but still had a burning smell when I got home. Now today (3 days since then) it was slightly smoking and stunk when I got home from work after an easy short drive. I'm completely baffled. I've done brakes on numerous vehicles for 20 years. Any ideas or obvious things I'm possibly overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Subscribed! My Power Stop rotors and discs were delivered today.
I'm assuming it's not the pads and rotors themselves, I just can't figure out what went wrong with this one side. A friend of mine who is a mechanic said to not mess around with it and just replace the caliper and brake hose on that one wheel. Going to do that this week and hope that's the fix. I only have 40,000 miles on my Jeep so I didn't expect this to be the issue

If you have a way to do so measure the Driver Rear pads accurately, pair of dial calipers?
If its flat across the entire pad I would suggest a flush of the line. Possible contaminants in the soft brake line. Even moving a soft line during a pad change could cause some dislodged material.

If its not wearing evenly check the clips are still in place. As well as the slides are greased and moving freely.

I just replaced my rear pads, rotors, brake lines and Driver Rear caliper because of drag. I too could smell it after long trips. I replaced the pads with Power Stop pads and have not had issue with the pads since. I did replace their clips with coated ones from O'Reileys after the clips begun to fail and squeak.

Hello, I installed new Power Stop rear pads and rotors two weeks ago on my 2017 JKU. Since then I went wheeling locally and have driven to work daily (which is only 3 miles away) and I only go 30-40 mph tops to work. I hadn't driven on the highway all week. No issues. Just did the front brakes a few days ago and went up the highway and could smell a strong burning smell. Got to my friend's house and drivers rear was smoking and had a strong metallic burning smell. Other rear and both fronts were totally fine. We popped off the tire, caliper and rotor and checked it all out, caliper not sticking, slides lubed and seem to be working fine, ebrake shoes aren't too tight to the rotor, it came off fairly easily. No issues found. No rocks or anything obvious stuck anywhere. Reassembled and it wasn't smoking anymore but still had a burning smell when I got home. Now today (3 days since then) it was slightly smoking and stunk when I got home from work after an easy short drive. I'm completely baffled. I've done brakes on numerous vehicles for 20 years. Any ideas or obvious things I'm possibly overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you spin it by hand?

I just installed my Powerstop rotors and discs this week. Did you replace the caliper and brake line yourself? Have you noticed spongy brakes?

I've been looking at upgrading my brake lines and, at a minimum, a deep clean of the calipers while they're off(might upgrade to a dual piston though). I saw it once online and one friend tell me that bleeding the entire brake system requires a dealer(or advanced off-road shop) to actuate the ABS pump during the bleed.

I just installed my Powerstop rotors and discs this week. Did you replace the caliper and brake line yourself? Have you noticed spongy brakes?

I've been looking at upgrading my brake lines and, at a minimum, a deep clean of the calipers while they're off(might upgrade to a dual piston though). I saw it once online and one friend tell me that bleeding the entire brake system requires a dealer(or advanced off-road shop) to actuate the ABS pump during the bleed.
Hello, I did do it myself. A friend of mine who is a mechanic broke broke the steps I had to take to do it all properly. I did bleed it from the caliper I did first, first. Then I did the other rear wheel and then the front too jist to make sure everyone was flowing smoothly and no air. My wife did the brake pedal pumps and holding for me. Pedal feels great, no issues at all after doing it the way I did.

Reactions: mrjp