Post flood maintenance questions

GiggityGibbs

Hey guys, recently got talked into trying to hit a water hole a bit too deep. Nothing got into the air intake but it stalled out for a second in about 3.5 ft of water/mud. Got it to start again but we were sitting in the water for about 10 minutes waiting to get pulled out. When we got it out the oil was full of water and it did NOT want to run itself back to the garage. Lots of bad noises and almost stalling out.
Took the plugs out, dried them. Manifold was cleaned as best as possible and dried. Oil drained and changed. We turned the engine over and it spat out a ton of watered oil from the cylinders. Re assembled everything and got it to run. It runs.....okay now. Definitely lost some giddy-up. It feels like it takes a bit longer to fire up when it used to be instant. No strange noises when running but it is a standard and I notice if have to use more gas to not stall it out when getting it moving from 1st.
My questions are this. Is there anything else I need to check? Anything known to take on water that needs to be drained and filled with fresh fluids? Also my speakers will work for about 10 seconds when I first turn on the car and then cut out. Water was only flooded up to the bottom of the seats and the back stayed dry. Any ideas of where to start?

69417D84-255A-4D07-8B10-C4E62E0402ED.jpeg

BA64BE42-17A4-4F1D-9A44-66A0A3795926.jpeg

1939FF15-C170-46FE-81B7-F52F7ADD0C19.jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
I'd pull the covers off the front and rear axles just to be sure no water got in them. Might also do the trans also you just never know.

If the water was over the tops of the vents some could have gotten in all of them.

X2 on front and rear end and tranny service also you may have gotten some water in your fuel

Is it showing any codes or is the engine light coming on?

And, fwiw, by the looks of the first picture, maybe your JK does not like the fact you're insulting her by putting a Bud Light and a Miller Lite on her bumper. ;) Maybe she's a hardcore, grain alcohol kind of gal?

Thanks guys! Checked the front and rear diffs and they look a little polluted. A lot of people are saying to change the transfer case fluid as well.
Are there ways to prevent this? I can’t imagine the hardcore off roaders are dumping these fluids after every time out are they? I changed the oil twice (that night in the pics and then again this morning) and there’s a lot of debris in that still.
I put seafoam in the gas to try and get any water out. Is there a way to check how much water is in the tank without dumping it all?

Is it showing any codes or is the engine light coming on?

And, fwiw, by the looks of the first picture, maybe your JK does not like the fact you're insulting her by putting a Bud Light and a Miller Lite on her bumper. ;) Maybe she's a hardcore, grain alcohol kind of gal?
No codes, when I first got it running again there was a “multiple cylinder misfire” but it’s been okay ever since I drove it around. Cleared the code and it hasn’t been back. The speakers came back on today also, didn’t even really get a chance to hunt that down.

You need to extend all of the vent lines up high like on the firewall that way water has a harder time finding a way into the front/rear diffs and trans/transfer cases also the gas tank has a vent also