Package or individual installation of Liftkit and tires

WesleySniper74

Hey all,
Noob Question. I finally saved up enough money to get a lift kit, tires and wheels installed on the Jeep. I got a quote for all of the items, but I feel like I am being over charged. I called an online tire and wheel sales that will mount and balance the tires and ship to me directly. I can install the wheels my self. My question is does it make sense for me to have the local shop do the lift kit and then just install the tires on my own after the fact, or is their anything that they have to do at the same time. If I do the tires separately I will save around $1500.00 in labor.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7222.jpg

Where does that 1500 in labor come from? By the wording of the post it sounds like they are charging 1500 to mount and balance tires.
You are correct, it is about 1000.00 (not 1500) for labor to mount and balance, plus the TPMS transfer, Valve stem replacement and disposal of the tires (which I think I can try and sell later).

Ummm...run away. Just run. I wouldn't let them touch my jeep if they are asking that much to just mount and balance some tires let alone put a lift on.

I get charged like 25 a tire to mount and balance if I didn't buy the tires from the place I go. Most places throw it in if you buy tires from them.

Just for clarification, that didn't include tires, did it?

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
Ummm...run away. Just run. I wouldn't let them touch my jeep if they are asking that much to just mount and balance some tires let alone put a lift on.

I get charged like 25 a tire to mount and balance if I didn't buy the tires from the place I go. Most places throw it in if you buy tires from them.

Just for clarification, that didn't include tires, did it?
No, the tires were a separate price. and they are charging 6 hours of labor for lift kit installation. I am not sure if that is normal. Thanks for the insight, I will keep looking around for another installer.

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp
No, the tires were a separate price. and they are charging 6 hours of labor for lift kit installation. I am not sure if that is normal. Thanks for the insight, I will keep looking around for another installer.
So that labor is for installing the lift and mounting and balancing the tires?

If so, then that is around the price you will pay.
Your responses made it seem like that did not include the price to instal the lift.

So that labor is for installing the lift and mounting and balancing the tires?

If so, then that is around the price you will pay.
Your responses made it seem like that did not include the price to instal the lift.
No again sorry for the confusion (NOOB to forums), the lift kit is a completely separate charge. I was more curious if 6 hours of labor sounded right for a lift kit to be installed.

FWIW, I don't know that I would allow a basic, run-of-the-mill tire shop install a lift kit on my Jeep. I took my newly-purchased JKU into a Goodyear dealer a few years back for an alignment and they told me they didn't have the tools to align a lifted Jeep (2.5"). I knew immediately this place had no clue....
Anyway, I found another shop in town where the owner is a vet, like me, and he and his wife own JKs. 'Nuff said....
Is there an off-road shop around? Get recommendations from other off-road owners where they take their vehicles.