Old(er) Guy - New Member

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
My 2014 is set up with 35x12.5 Toyo M/T on Moto Metal 962's. Upgrades include the Smittybilt Defender rack, LX Light 7" CREE chip black headlamps (the 4" Xprite CREE chip foglights are on order), and a few Weathertech items. My wife and I have a couple large dogs (rescues); Chief, a 100lb Rottie/Husky/Dobie and St. Bernard mix and Master, our 85lb Lab mix. Hence the rack- the dogs ride inside, the wife is on the rack.... (kidding). Most of our travel is toward the coast, whether it's the Outer Banks or the southern coast just north of the SC border.

I'm originally from San Diego and when I retired from the Navy in 1993 I threw a dart at a map and moved to NC sight unseen. Been in and around since then. Met my wife in 1995 and we've been married since '98. She thinks this is my mid-life crisis, although it's my 3rd Jeep and I've had this one for 4 years now.

Jeep 1.jpg
Jeep 2.jpg
Jeep 3.jpg

Look forward to occasionally chiming in and more often reading advice from everyone.
Keep it right side up!

That's a nice color welcome to the best Jeep forum from another one of the older guys.

I take it you must have been happy with the decision to move to NC then if you've stayed this long?

My wife and I bought a house unseen here in Arizona (well, I mean we saw photos and a virtual tour). Hands down the best decision I've ever made!

Great looking JK, and welcome to the forum. Fortunately you won't find any drama here like some other places ;)

Reactions: BLACKJKU
How do you like the Toyo Open Country MTs? My dad runs the RTs on his jeeps, but I like the MT's, however I have heard they wear super fast or shread their tread.

How do you like the Toyo Open Country MTs? My dad runs the RTs on his jeeps, but I like the MT's, however I have heard they wear super fast or shread their tread.

These have nearly 50k on them and I'll be replacing them within the year. Must stay on schedule with the rotation, otherwise the road noise and balance is horrible. I'm thinking of replacing them with the new Toyo AT- road noise is rated a little better and they're a 65k tire. Still going to run about $1600 for a set of 5.

Reactions: IndominusHuman
I take it you must have been happy with the decision to move to NC then if you've stayed this long?

My wife and I bought a house unseen here in Arizona (well, I mean we saw photos and a virtual tour). Hands down the best decision I've ever made!

Great looking JK, and welcome to the forum. Fortunately you won't find any drama here like some other places ;)

I'm happy I moved east. We've been back that way a couple times to see my brother in LA and my sister in Utah. Wife and I rafted the Colorado thru the Grand Canyon a few years back- one of the best trips I've ever done. That's saying a lot as I've been all over the world, seen and done a lot! And one of the undergrad degrees I earned when I was in the Navy is courtesy of NAU.

Glad to be here and thanks for having me along!