Oil underneath (behind engine) & wiring question

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
have been painting my house, but finally got back to doing a little something with the Jeep. It was too hot to paint on Saturday (100* in New Hampshire is damn hot for us folks up here), so I pulled the wife's jeep into the garage and changed the oil for the first time since owning it. pretty straightforward job, and i love how you can do things under a jeep without jacks. I got a set of front shocks to replace the old ones as well, but did not get that far. While I was under the jeep I noticed that there seems to be a lot of oil coating the transmission and transfer case - sort of the area right above the skid plate aft of the engine oil pan. The actual engine and the area around the oil pan looked great, however. I can't tell what is going on without dropping the skid plate, cleaning it all up, and then trying to find the leak. Is there a very likely culprit? Do I want to know? The engine wasn't burning or losing oil, so i am thinking maybe a leaking transfer case? I got oil to change the differential fluid, but not for the transfer case yet - I'll put that on my list.

wiring question - I want to add a few circuits under the hood off the battery. Looking at ordering this or something like it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X32KGF8/?tag=jkforum-20

Anyone done this and have a preferred device?

What I always do for situations like this is put UV dye in the oil, run it for a little bit, and then get the UV light out and shine it underneath to find out exactly where it's leaking from. Works like a charm every single time!

I've used a fuse block similar to that on my TJ in the past and it worked out great. I wouldn't hesitate to use that one (y)

so - dreaded rear main seal leak maybe? i will see about getting it cleaned off and adding some UV dye.