Oil filter housing (2015 jku)

retnuh22

First time post for me and a little frustrated. I’ve been having a terrible leak from my Jeep. Wiped the transmission and crossmember down and ran the Jeep down the street and back. Jump under snd see a fresh fluid oil trail from the top of the bellhousing dripping to the ground. It would come down the driver side run along the trans pan, drip on the exhaust and crossmembers.
So…. Did me research to find the oil filter housing have issues and seemed to be everything the symptoms show. Got the new housing, took every thing off to get to the old one…. And I’m finding very little oil (though some) around the back oring. Originally I looked below the filter area and saw oil there as well, which lead me to the dismantling.

My question is …. Will little oil in the valley could it still be the housing orings leaking under pressure ? And if not, what else is above the bellhousing to cause the leak? It is oil as it’s not red in color. I cleaned the under side and drove it no more than two minutes and had a flowing leak down the transmission.

Jeep is a 2015 JKU with 48k miles.

I had also a couple years ago smelled the sweet smell of burning anti freeze but could never find a source. Reading, the housing could be the issue there too.

Please help as I’m at a loss. I have the new part and have things apart but worries this may not be my issue ….

Thank you.

This is most likely your oil cooler. The part sits on top of the engine and is mentioned numerous times on these forums. The easy check is to get a flashlight and look at the top of the block someplace around the oil filter housing. The oil filter housing is part of the oil cooler fyi. Get mopar.

When this part leaks it pools on top of the block and then drips down during acceleration making it annoying to track down if you don't know to look for it. A number of videos showing how to check for leaking oil cooler. Video doesn't need to be about a jeep, just the 3.6 engine.

Took it all apart and found indeed…. I had three inches or so of oil in the valley. So… cleaned it all up and put the new housing in place. Got the lower manifold torqued in and stoped for the day. Tomorrow I’ll do the spark plugs and hopefully get it back together.
Cheers !!