New Owner

ScepterToad

Hi Folks! New owner of a '17 4 door sport. Hope to learn some stuff here! It's been modified and seems to have been done right. No major issues with drivability or handling other than the transmission shift points not being great. I suspect that the tire size calibration has not been done and though I haven't confirmed, I also suspect that it has 3.21 gears and not the 3.73's, which makes it struggle a bit to maintain gear selection. I'll start a build thread for posterity, but for now here's a pic. Glad to be here!

Jeep.jpg

You need to get that Calibrated ASAP for a couple reasons, Transmission and speeding ticket.

My Jeep has 3.21's and 35's with a manual trans when I bought it, I never used 6th gear. About a month later I bought the tires and wheels that are on it, much better now..

You need to get that Calibrated ASAP for a couple reasons, Transmission and speeding ticket.

My Jeep has 3.21's and 35's with a manual trans when I bought it, I never used 6th gear. About a month later I bought the tires and wheels that are on it, much better now..
Never mine 6th ( why is that even there in the 3.8?) I almost never use 5th. Them darn hills here. All Good

I'm not going to pull any punches here. You should track down the previous owner and punch him in the face for spending all that money on lift, wheels, tires, gadgets, etc. and not spending a dime on re-gearing it.

Matter of fact, I bet one of the reasons it was sitting on a car lot was because of the apparent lack of guts caused by all the mods and no gearing upgrade.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I'm not going to pull any punches here. You should track down the previous owner and punch him in the face for spending all that money on lift, wheels, tires, gadgets, etc. and not spending a dime on re-gearing it.

Matter of fact, I bet one of the reasons it was sitting on a car lot was because of the apparent lack of guts caused by all the mods and no gearing upgrade.
He definitely did it for the looks. Story is he traded it on a $100K Bronco Raptor. That tells me everything I need to know.

Wow, a $100K for a ride. I bought a 2 acre lot and built a some home for that coin 20yrs ago here in Muskoka. Times have changed.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
You are correct Sir. The series ran from 66 to 68 and the lead character was Sargent Sam Troy. Would have never purchased a jeep, had I not seen the show in the 60s. Now that is stupid EH?
I remember watching it. Christopher George was the lead actor. It wasn't in the prime time rotation at my house when I was a kid, but that's when there were about 4 channels...

Welcome fellow Cincinnatian! Something about previous Cincinnati Jeep owners apparently. I just recently bought this 15' JK 4" lift and 35" tires still running stock 3.21 gears as well. 4.88's are in it's future as soon as I get through the maintenance items and convince the wife it's a necessity and not a 'want'.
Thanks! This one actually came from the Bus (C-Bus that is). In any case, welcome to you as well!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but the first thing to do is to get the JScan app and get the bluetooth dongle that they recommend. Buy a license for your vin from the app so you have complete control. In total this will cost you a one time fee of $50 - $60

This will allow you to make adjustments to the vehicle. The most important one here is the size of the tires so it shifts correctly. Shift points in a jeep are tied to the speedometer, so that is the only change you will need to make to start. Then you can really see how it drives and make other decisions from there.

JScan is a must for any jeep owner that does anything more than oil changes on their rig. Pretty much everyone on these forums has it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but the first thing to do is to get the JScan app and get the bluetooth dongle that they recommend. Buy a license for your vin from the app so you have complete control. In total this will cost you a one time fee of $50 - $60

This will allow you to make adjustments to the vehicle. The most important one here is the size of the tires so it shifts correctly. Shift points in a jeep are tied to the speedometer, so that is the only change you will need to make to start. Then you can really see how it drives and make other decisions from there.

JScan is a must for any jeep owner that does anything more than oil changes on their rig. Pretty much everyone on these forums has it.
Thanks! I actually just posted up about this in my actual build thread here:

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/scepter-toad.31288/