New member ride

SCF

Hello all, new JKU owner, I've had 5 XJ's, 3 TJ's, 2 YJ's and a CJ. My girlfriend daily drives a YJ. Anyway, I grabbed a 2012 JKU with a bunch of work done to it. Typically I like buying stock and doing it all myself, but this person used the parts I had planned to use so I went for it. I'm new to the 3.6 engine, so far it has no noises, the block is clean enough to eat off of and it doesn't leak. When did Jeep start making a decent power plant? lol. I need advice on things to do at 100k miles. its at 102k now. Gonna do oil, trans filter and fluid change, t case fluid change. Not messing with the diffs yes, will be doing 4.56's, ARB lockers and sleeves in the axles later this year some time. Any pointers for general or preventative maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Other inherently weak points on the 2012+ JKU's?

2012 JKU Sport with 3.73's and auto trans Orange Crush paint
Rubicon Express 3.5" sport lift
RE sway bar quick disconnects
RE dual steering stabilizer
Smittybilt from and rear bumpers, rear has tire carrier
SB rocksliders
SB 10k x2o winch
Full exhaust
K&N cold air intake
hard top was added at some point, (its white under the black paint)
metal grab bars front and rear
KC lights
Pro comp wheels and 35"s

Im putting on metal flat fenders to ditch the crappy plastic fender trim job.
Ordered a bikini top and some doors off mirros.

Last edited:
Girlfriend only speaks in Snapchat so sorry about the emoji on screen.
JKU 1.jpeg

Some flex testing, just have a little pit at the house I can get stuff to articulate on. Not shabby at all.
JKU 3.jpeg

I like that color but your going to have to talk to her about her emoji's. I bought my JKU with about $5,000 worth of upgrades already installed, but a couple of them I didn't care for and replaced them with my choice.

Hello all, new JKU owner, I've had 5 XJ's, 3 TJ's, 2 YJ's and a CJ. My girlfriend daily drives a YJ. Anyway, I grabbed a 2012 JKU with a bunch of work done to it. Typically I like buying stock and doing it all myself, but this person used the parts I had planned to use so I went for it. I'm new to the 3.6 engine, so far it has no noises, the block is clean enough to eat off of and it doesn't leak. When did Jeep start making a decent power plant? lol. I need advice on things to do at 100k miles. its at 102k now. Gonna do oil, trans filter and fluid change, t case fluid change. Not messing with the diffs yes, will be doing 4.56's, ARB lockers and sleeves in the axles later this year some time. Any pointers for general or preventative maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Other inherently weak points on the 2012+ JKU's?

2012 JKU Sport with 3.73's and auto trans Orange Crush paint
Rubicon Express 3.5" sport lift
RE sway bar quick disconnects
RE dual steering stabilizer
Smittybilt from and rear bumpers, rear has tire carrier
SB rocksliders
SB 10k x2o winch
Full exhaust
K&N cold air intake
hard top was added at some point, (its white under the black paint)
metal grab bars front and rear
KC lights
Pro comp wheels and 35"s

Im putting on metal flat fenders to ditch the crappy plastic fender trim job.
Ordered a bikini top and some doors off mirros.

Great color, I really like it!

Jeep started making a decent power plant in 2012 with the 3.6 Pentastar. The 4.0 in the TJ was actually a great engine, though it was definitely down on power IMHO.

One thing you'll want to keep an eye on with the 3.6 is the oil filter issue, and the leaking oil coolers.

At that mileage, you should change all the fluids, replace all the O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc. That's what I would start with at least. The JK doesn't have any major weak points, just little things that can pop up from time-to-time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Great color, I really like it!

Jeep started making a decent power plant in 2012 with the 3.6 Pentastar. The 4.0 in the TJ was actually a great engine, though it was definitely down on power IMHO.

One thing you'll want to keep an eye on with the 3.6 is the oil filter issue, and the leaking oil coolers.

At that mileage, you should change all the fluids, replace all the O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc. That's what I would start with at least. The JK doesn't have any major weak points, just little things that can pop up from time-to-time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I love the 4.0, great engine! I had just heard lots of negative talk about the 3.8 and I have been out of the Jeep world for a while other than the ol YJ 4 banger by GF drives.

I love the 4.0, great engine! I had just heard lots of negative talk about the 3.8 and I have been out of the Jeep world for a while other than the ol YJ 4 banger by GF drives.

Yes, the 4.0 is great, the 3.8 was a disappointment, and the 3.6 is a fantastic engine. That's not to say the 3.6 doesn't have it's little quirks (it does), but none of them are anything major, just little annoyances IMHO.