New member in Texas

BigDaddyinBigD

2011 JK Owner
Supporting Member
Hello, I recently (finally) got back to owning a Jeep, and found this forum while noodling around about level-up kits. Back in college, I had an awesome ‘80 CJ5 and, when I got out of school, decided to trade it for an equally awesome brand new ‘87 Wrangler (yes I’m old). But since 1992, I have been Jeepless.

So recently, with heavy presssure from my 16 year old daughter, we decided to buy a very clean, stock 2011 JK. She loves it and it’s so fun to drive (when I get the chance). I can’t believe how many mod kits and gadgets that are now easily available. We didn’t have that stuff back in the day. BD

6E4E4A4E-198E-44D7-A3F6-43DC547A0638.jpeg

Reactions: Chris and Jlopez
Welcome from South Florida. *waves*
It’s great that you were able to get back into a Jeep. I lived out in Texas about 60 mi south of Dallas for the last 8 years and I enjoyed having a Jeep while I was there. I have since moved back to FL and hope to find some groups or clubs and trails to ride my new Jeep here.
There are a few nice Jeep clubs and some facebook groups from out in your area too, I was part of a few several years ago.
I hope your daughter lets you get some time in behind the wheel.

It’s great that you were able to get back into a Jeep. I lived out in Texas about 60 mi south of Dallas for the last 8 years and I enjoyed having a Jeep while I was there. I have since moved back to FL and hope to find some groups or clubs and trails to ride my new Jeep here.
There are a few nice Jeep clubs and some facebook groups from out in your area too, I was part of a few several years ago.
What made you move from Texas to Florida?

Hey thanks. I appreciate the welcome and the info on the Jeep clubs; never done anything like that. We’e keep this Jeep pretty much stock and its a daily driver. Do they do trail rides that a stock Jeep can handle or are these guys rock crawlers / into extreme terrain rides?

Hey thanks. I appreciate the welcome and the info on the Jeep clubs; never done anything like that. We’e keep this Jeep pretty much stock and its a daily driver. Do they do trail rides that a stock Jeep can handle or are these guys rock crawlers / into extreme terrain rides?
You may be surprised - stock jeeps can do trails easy and if you have the right driver will get through rough terrains as well.
Rock crawling for stock jeeps is not advisable however, you need all the suspension upgrades that will handle the approach and departure angles.

" I can’t believe how many mod kits and gadgets that are now easily available. We didn’t have that stuff back in the day"

Hey BD get the Amazon Prime membership. That's the best advise you can get from me for now!

" I can’t believe how many mod kits and gadgets that are now easily available. We didn’t have that stuff back in the day"

Hey BD get the Amazon Prime membership. That's the best advise you can get from me for now!

Thanks, yes, we’ve been Amazon Prime uses for years now. I’ve already seen a big difference in prices between AP and the online 4 wheel parts places.

You may be surprised - stock jeeps can do trails easy and if you have the right driver will get through rough terrains as well.
Rock crawling for stock jeeps is not advisable however, you need all the suspension upgrades that will handle the approach and departure angles.

Thanks, I meant what do the DFW local Jeep clubs tend to drive. I’ve owned Jeeps in the past as well as several 4 wheelers (ATVs), so I’m comfortable deciding what we can do vs. not worth trying. I don’t want to bang this thing up (and I’m 57yrs old) so not interested in even moderately technical trail rides at this point...

Wait a minute BD, the jeep is for your daughter - now you sounds like it's yours :)
She will decide where to go from here, okay? Besides, you're too old to have fun!
Let me tell you about my teenage daughter's jeep: I only see/drive it when it's broken :(

Last edited:
Wait a minute BD, the jeep is for your daughter - now you sounds like it's yours :)
She will decide where to go from here, okay? Besides, you're too old to have fun!
Let me tell you about my teenage daughter's jeep: I only see/drive it when it's broken :(

Funny. Well, she was the inspiration to finally get another Jeep. Technically it’s a family vehicle, but my daughter sounds like yours. I have to schedule time slots to actually drive it.

That said, she freaking loves it! In her mind, it’s as good as new and the cools vehicle she could have gotten. I’m happy for her. When I was 16 I driving either my Dad’s F100 pickup or Mom’s Ford LTD - when they weren’t at work or using them for something else. Otherwise, I was hitching rides with friends.

Here are some updated photos. I’ve always loved the retro Renegade decals, so installed those. Also removed original white Wrangler Sport decals. Next steps are to reblacken bumper, flares, etc and freshen up the headlights. For inside, I found some kill parachord grab handles in black and maroon, front and back. I know this is small potatoes stuff, cored to most of you guys, but I like the way its coming around. Fun stuff.