New Member from Tampa, Florida

Ashlyn

Excited to join this forum! I bought my first Jeep back in November 2019. It’s a 2018 JKU Sahara and all mods pictured were already done. I haven’t figured out what I want to do just yet. Hoping to find some inspiration here. I have taken a liking to the rhino lined paint jobs does anyone have any pros and cons they can share??

D9B7A42C-A5D9-4EC2-9A82-18B72A5DE4AB.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

You live in Florida, so you've got some really nice weather for no top or doors. Of course I suppose it's inching closer to summer down there, where I suspect you'll want the top and doors on, huh?

Rhino lined paint jobs are a pain in the butt to clean. I wouldn't put rhino liner over nice paint like that, that's for sure!

Reactions: FloridaMan
Also, if you paint with rhino liner cut your demographics in over half if you want to sell again. I personally dislike rhino lining on the outside for many different reasons.

Thanks for the inputs I didn’t even think about cleaning it. I have been taking the doors and top off a lot lately unfortunately have had to keep putting it back on due to storms rolling through or extreme cold (for Florida). That can be a pain to do but I love having the Jeep all open! I’m hoping for the summer to keep it open 90%-100% of the time.

Excited to join this forum! I bought my first Jeep back in November 2019. It’s a 2018 JKU Sahara and all mods pictured were already done. I haven’t figured out what I want to do just yet. Hoping to find some inspiration here. I have taken a liking to the rhino lined paint jobs does anyone have any pros and cons they can share??

View attachment 114851
One of the things I would do is to ensure that the speedo has been calibrated properly. Run a VIN check to see what the original gearing was. It might be 3.21, and if so the taller tires are going to cause you some issues especially in the speeding ticket department.

Some things to think about, are upgrading to lockers. It will cost a pretty penny but worth it. 4WP has some stores in Florida and would be a goto place. Look at $5800-6000 for electric locking. Autolockers can be cheaper, but there is no guarantee of immediate locking.

The next upgrade is a K&N Cold Air Intake, which gives you a bit of horsepower boost and also an MPG boost too. Noted in the photo, it looks like she is winch ready. Get a 9500 to the 12000-pound unit. In Florida, you will need it eventually.

Interior wise, if the sound systems are a bit on the OMG this thing s***s, consider the Alpine X409, with a subwoofer. Ensure to order the optional Sirius Module for the Alpine, generally available from Best Buy.

CB radio is an option for off-roading, I went a wee bit overboard on my rig, it punches out to around 15-20 miles because of mods.
Overall look at upgrading to LED lights if you don't have them.

Some things to think about, are upgrading to lockers. It will cost a pretty penny but worth it. 4WP has some stores in Florida and would be a goto place. Look at $5800-6000 for electric locking. Autolockers can be cheaper, but there is no guarantee of immediate locking.

Just curious if you do rock crawling with your rig.
Your advise is a bit way overboard to most of us regular guys.
We would love to see pics of your jeep. Must be a top notch!

One of the things I would do is to ensure that the speedo has been calibrated properly. Run a VIN check to see what the original gearing was. It might be 3.21, and if so the taller tires are going to cause you some issues especially in the speeding ticket department.

The next upgrade is a K&N Cold Air Intake, which gives you a bit of horsepower boost and also an MPG boost too. Noted in the photo, it looks like she is winch ready. Get a 9500 to the 12000-pound unit. In Florida, you will need it eventually.

Interior wise, if the sound systems are a bit on the OMG this thing s***s, consider the Alpine X409, with a subwoofer. Ensure to order the optional Sirius Module for the Alpine, generally available from Best Buy.

CB radio is an option for off-roading, I went a wee bit overboard on my rig, it punches out to around 15-20 miles because of mods.
Thank you so much for all of these suggestions I have been looking around d and don’t even know where to start. This will help me start researching!

Just curious if you do rock crawling with your rig.
Your advise is a bit way overboard to most of us regular guys.
We would love to see pics of your jeep. Must be a top notch!

The top one is back quarter view before I put antennas on it. The second one is the view of the mounted antennas.
I don't do rock crawling, I am setting it up for RV towing of a travel trailer for off-road camping, so the lockers will be a must in some of the places I will be going.

This is basically my dream Jeep.

The project has been completed, the last thing will be the trailer wiring. It already has a Class III receiver. Low-end grunt power is very good.

Don't laugh, but I use it for Uber/Lyft on occasion. Had a Porshe salesman comment on everything while taking him to his dealership. I joked with him that it is not about how fast you go from zero to sixty, but getting the weight moving to sixty.

01c9b9f3c2c40957509f6f7cc86a1227787543ea3c.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Reactions: Oscar-Mike
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

You live in Florida, so you've got some really nice weather for no top or doors. Of course I suppose it's inching closer to summer down there, where I suspect you'll want the top and doors on, huh?

Rhino lined paint jobs are a pain in the butt to clean. I wouldn't put rhino liner over nice paint like that, that's for sure!
It’s already beyond the itching aspect here in FL, lol

Reactions: Chris
The top one is back quarter view before I put antennas on it. The second one is the view of the mounted antennas.
I don't do rock crawling, I am setting it up for RV towing of a travel trailer for off-road camping, so the lockers will be a must in some of the places I will be going.

This is basically my dream Jeep.

The project has been completed, the last thing will be the trailer wiring. It already has a Class III receiver. Low-end grunt power is very good.

Don't laugh, but I use it for Uber/Lyft on occasion. Had a Porshe salesman comment on everything while taking him to his dealership. I joked with him that it is not about how fast you go from zero to sixty, but getting the weight moving to sixty.

View attachment 114892

View attachment 114893
Nice!!

I’m outside bbq’n as we speak.....it’s like 85 degrees right now at 8PM.

Haha, I don't blame you. It's pretty damn hard to blame all those people at the beaches in Florida. If it was 85 out, I'd probably be at the beach too, virus or not :LOL:

Reactions: Oscar-Mike

Uh, the part about auto lockers not locking up... Auto lockers are typically more reliable than selectable lockers. Auto lockers are normally in a locked state and auto unlock under certain conditions such as a 90 degree turn on the street. They won't unlock in low traction situations. The problem I believe with auto lockers on a JK is that they don't play well with the electronic nanny's in the rear axle of a JK. I have a Grizzly in my TJ's D44 and a Spartan in the D30. It is a daily driver and when I go off road I don't need to use 4 wheel drive in most of the places where I did have to use 4 wheel drive prior to putting the lockers in.

I'd recommend getting a bluetooth OBDII reader and the JScan app. Easy to correct your shift points for your tire/wheel size and gearing, not to mention speedo and being able to read check engine codes from your phone at any time. Welcome to the Jeep life!