Need advice on brake pads, rotors, and ball joints for a 2016 JK

Hazz1221

Hello All,
First time posting on here. I own a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a 3.5 inch lift (Rough Country) and Open Country Toyo tires (37 x 13.50 R20LT). Took the jeep in for regular maintenance today and my mechanic recommended me the following:

1. Replace Front Right and Front Left- Upper and Lower Ball Joints.

2. Replace Rear Brake pads, Rear Rotors, and left rear caliper

I was hoping if anyone can recommend me good quality ball joints, brake pads, caliper, and rotors for my Jeep? That will last longer than the OEMs.
All advice and suggestions will be much appreciated!
Thanks!!

I just had all the ball joint replaced with Synergy joints. Much better ride BUT, Synergy has produced a number of bad ball joints and they are out for installing. I would recommend NOT using synergy joints BUT i would recommend joints that are greaseable. WRT brakes, I've had very good luck with the Power Stops (not a big brake conversion...just stock). I think they are Z36 packages that are complete with rotors and pads but NOT with parking brakes shoes...

Reactions: Anybodyhome
If I am not sure of my aftermarket upgrade, I would go for OEM anyday.
The problem is there's not much "gearheads" on this JK forum yet.

I was looking at the Z36 brake kit and had a conversation with Chris regarding the product. Always willing to listen, I went back and began reading customer reviews of the Z36 kit and was surprised at the number of bad reviews and pissed off customers. Brake pads not lasting and calipers etching the rotor, uneven pad wear, etc.
But, you get what you pay for- the Z36 kit runs around $400 where most brake kits with much better reviews are going for closer to $800-1000. It changed my mind and I was a couple days from ordering new Power Stop brakes.
I'd recommend looking at Northridge 4x4's website and read some reviews. They carry Crown, DynaTrac, Hawk as well as Power Stop. You can read and compare reviews on the same site.

Reactions: mrjp
I like hawk pads. Better than stock performance, haven't noticed a lot of dust and good wear.

I've used Synergy ball joints on previous JK's, but have also heard of issues with them as of late. I'll probably go with the Teraflex when mine are due on my 2016.

Installed the Z36 kits years ago w/ 35” tires, been running 37” tires for 1-1/2 yrs w/ no issues at all. I highly recommend from personal experience.

I Prefer the Powerstop Brake pad & rotor system. But when issues crop up, like they did 2 weeks ago. I had to install Napa parts for the time being.

Ball joints I've yet to decide myself, though Synergy MFG would be high on my list. However, Seeing how you're running 37''s, I would also suggest upgrading your drag link, tie rod, sway bar end links and possible the track bar as these also have ball joints. Cause if you have factory components still on the jeep, chances are you'll have some flop in those components.

One way to check for this flop is to crawl under the jeep, place your hand on the drag link rod and tie rod and see if you can twist the rod. if it moves forward and back, you will need to replace them.

Reactions: mrjp and Tom_H
$1100 ? yikes...

My big brake kit for my TJ was $1500. That's top quality stuff there, way better than the Powerstop crap. Blaine doesn't price gouge either. He's not making a killing on those kits, that much I can assure you.

I've had really good luck with EBC brake parts in the past. I haven't used them yet on the jeep but we had a Saturn Vue that would eat brakes for lunch and warp rotors. Went through several brands before getting the EBC and they were the only ones that lasted and rotors didn't warp.
I researched rotors and unless you get a specialty kit or something, all major brands are made in China except EBC which is made in the UK.