Loud tapping noise when starting to move

ec13

Bought a used 15 Wrangler Willy’s (4 door, automatic). Let’s say I’m at a stop light and not moving. From a complete standstill when I step on the gas pedal I hear a loud tapping noise coming from the rear/bottom of my Jeep. I only ever hear it if I start moving from a complete stop. If I accelerate slowly it does not make the noise. But 9 times out of 10 when I start moving, I hear this noise. It only does it when I start moving. Once I am moving it doesn’t happen again until the next time I stop and then go again. I’m about to bring it to a shop to get it checked out but I wondered if anyone has an idea what it could be.

It could very well be a bad u-joint. Often times they will make those sounds when they are starting to go bad.

Thanks guys for your replies. Found a place near work and I'll have it looked at. Also watched some videos on u-joint replacement and it looks pretty straightforward.

Also do not discard the front drive shaft CV joint. The are well known to be weak and have different behavior and noises from JK to JK that got them damage.
1567905226192.png