Looking to buy first Wrangler

Iron Outlaw

Hi guys. I’m not new to the car hobby but I am jeeps. I’ve always wanted one and think I’m going to try to find a decent used one for a beater. Here is what I’m looking for. I need to know what year models to look for and which to stay from. I also do not understand the codes for each generation but I can look that up.

I have a ram 2500 gasser that’s killing me on fuel. 10mpg average. This Jeep will be my other car that I will drive to look at jobs or to the store. I may or may not start wheeling for fun, but that will be rare. I have a Suzuki king quad right now I don’t have time to use so I’m selling it to fund the jeep.

I want the following.
Hard doors, manual transmission, 4.0 inline, base model preferred. I don’t even care about AC just want heat and radio.
What should I look for? Red flags when looking?

I would say your looking in the wrong section ( years) these JK's have 3.8 and 3.6 V-6 engines. The older Jeeps have the good 4.0 engines. These JK's are electrical nightmares, just take your times and read through some of the problems they have.

I would say your looking in the wrong section ( years) these JK's have 3.8 and 3.6 V-6 engines. The older Jeeps have the good 4.0 engines. These JK's are electrical nightmares, just take your times and read through some of the problems they have.
Can you move the thread to the right spot?

Before buying my JK, I searched for a not rust TJ to replace mine that has body rot.

Looked at about 20. All where massacred with "improvements". If you can find one unmolested you will have a fine vehicle that will last almost forever. But don't expect over 16 mpg.