Looking into buying jeeps but keep finding leaks (advice?)

stevensinger111

Hola all- been looking into joining the Jeep Wrangler family to have a summer car. Make good money but like most millennial - student debt out the ass. Was looking at wranglers under 6K in NJ which was a farce - every single one had tons of issues. I increased my budget to 10K at this point and saw a 4 door at a dealership that seemed great! it had a lot of mileage but it was 2007 and well kept. When looking under the car, I did notice a spot near the oil pan that was leaking. All of these cars have rust but most seems superficial I can get that fixed by a family member, especially the frame. This leak seems to be an issue, but do you think the dealership will address it? Or will they just throw a quick patch on it that'll last 2 months and go? It is a large dealership. What is the leaking spot anyway? Or should I say no and just run away from this car (like most cars I've seen). This is literally the THIRD wrangler Ive looked at that had this same leak

Read more: https://www.jeepz.com/forum/wrangle...-let-them-fix-run-away-now.html#ixzz6LWJZNNaF

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.12.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.12.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.55.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.55.25 PM.png

Well if you want my advice, you'd be smart to stay away from any and all 07-11 models, period.

If you haven't done the research yet, you should. The 3.8 is a terribly shitty motor known for burning oil, leaking oil, and being underpowered.

The 3.6 Pentastar that superseded it in the 2012+ models is vastly superior in every way.

Drive the two back-to-back and you'll see what I mean.

That rear main seal leak is very, very common on the earlier models, as I mentioned they are known to leak and burn oil.

Do yourself a favor and avoid all 07-11 models, please.

There is a reason they are so cheap on the used market and a clean TJ will go for more money... because no one wants the earlier JKs. Not if they've done their research.

This may be an unpopular opinion with some people, but it's the cold hard truth. Save up some more money and look for a lower mile 2012+ JK. You'll be happy you did.

Also, be sure to run VIN checkers like Car Facts to whittle down the troublesome later models to ensure you did not find one that has played submarine.

Hey - I have a 2008 with 155K and it does not burn oil (yet). I think that may depend a lot on whether the maintenance got done and how it was treated.

Thanks for the response guys. I didn't start looking into newer Jeeps (>2006) until I rose my budget from $7K to around 10K. How do you feel about TJs that are well kept ? I will always get a mechanic's inspection before buying a car privately. Last TJ looked GORGEOUS, even the owner of the auto shop was complimenting how clean and great the frame looked (of course until it was put on a lift and over $4000 of instant repairs needed were found)

If you haven't done the research yet, you should. The 3.8 is a terribly shitty motor known for burning oil, leaking oil, and being underpowered.

True indeed, thanks mate! if you see my last post -- I just started looking into the newer jeeps as my budget changed. I am looking for a car that I will drive on summer weekends to the beach and maybe one time per week to work in the summer as well. Stored in garage in winter.

Do you think it would be more beneficial overall (cost/ maintenance / longevity etc.) to go for an affordable TJ or newer then 2011 JK ?

True indeed, thanks mate! if you see my last post -- I just started looking into the newer jeeps as my budget changed. I am looking for a car that I will drive on summer weekends to the beach and maybe one time per week to work in the summer as well. Stored in garage in winter.

Do you think it would be more beneficial overall (cost/ maintenance / longevity etc.) to go for an affordable TJ or newer then 2011 JK ?

Having owned countless numbers of TJs and a really nice JK, I can tell you that if you plan to use the vehicle as a daily driver or for lots of highway driving / long drives, the JK is superior in every way possible. It rides like a nice, quiet SUV, whereas the short wheelbase of the TJ makes it much better suited for a weekend fun vehicle, or just running around town.

A well cared for TJ is as reliable as they come, but the JKs can also be very reliable as well.

With what you're talking about using it for, personally I would get a TJ.

For 15k you can get a damn near immaculate TJ, rust free, Rubicon trim, and probably 70k or less miles.

If you do end up looking for TJs, I run the TJ forum as well, so be sure to check it out:

I like all Wranglers, but the TJ will forever hold a very, very special place in my heart.

Great thanks! definitely a bit over my budget but Im looking for jeep I can use for ~ 3 years and then pass on to someone else. Would definitely take care of during my time and yes it would never be a day to day car. Just weekends in the summer to drive 1 hour down to the shore and then onto the NJ beach and back home. maybe 1x per week to work on nice days, 15 minute drive. Ill keep looking into the TJs maybe ill get lucky and find a functional non leaking / rust managed one! well see

I am currently a TJ owner but moving up to a JK soon. I'm in the same boat as you. It's hard to find the right JK in my price range. Persistence will pay off. Just gotta keep looking. The best advice I have seen is exactly the same for all Jeeps. STAY AWAY FROM RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the other issues can be worked out. Parts are not to expensive and so far the TJ is very easy to work on. Having driven my TJ around a lot lately I will say the TJ is not a highway cruiser. I love it for around town drives and dirt road riding but anything over 60 and it leaves a lot to be desired. LOL!