Looking for suspension recommendations for my 2010 JKU

Skyler76

So, I am pretty sure i'm in the right of passage mode with this thing. As and avid hunter, I need a 4x4 to get to my walk in destination. Last year I got stuck a couple of times in my stock truck trying to reach places I probably had no business taking the truck - TLDR/ bought a JKU, 2010. Thought, I'd just do a cheap lift and get some take off wheels from a JL to give me a little more clearance for the longer wheelbase for break-over. Yep, put on a 2.5" RC lift and absolutely HATE it. The shocks have next to no dampening, the springs are super soft and the kit didn't allow for any corrections to geometry. Road manners are non-existent and quite honestly doesn't even feel safe. Aside from that, the rear has sagged almost to stock height within 100 miles. RC did send me replacement springs but, I really can't be bothered investing anymore time into that company. So, now I am at a turning point.

If it were just road manners i"d probably just get some lower control arms or brackets to correct the castor but it's not.

I have no aspirations of rock crawling but break over is important. I realize it's a jeep but road manners where it's at now won't do. The stock height of jeep wouldn't cut it. I'd say a 2.5 inch lift would be sufficient.

So my question -

Given this is a 12 y/o JKU Sport what do you think the best options are to get the lift to give me the results I am looking for? I know if I put a metalcloak/terraflex/etc kit on it I'll probably see the results I want but spending $3-4k on this vehicles suspension to get 2.5" of lift seems.. well..a bit painful. Are there any other options that give decent results?

Really 2.5" lift doesn't need Adjustable Control Arms. Your rough ride other then the cheap lift could be over inflated tires.

What size tires and air pressure you have?

Reactions: Danarch
When you talk about road manors. What is your Jeep actually doing on the road or not doing?

#1 - wallowing out of road depressions (like no rebound), feels like it has a 4" lift with no shocks or sway bar. I can rock the thing by pressing on the bumper with 2 fingers.
#2 - feel everything on the road like it was a speed bump
#3 - steering is randomly light or hard. eg. You can turn the wheel to no/little effect, but other times it feels like the slightest movement in the wheel was a full turn of the wheel.

For reference, I've driven trucks for 30 years, some lifted. This is 100% my first jeep though. I get they're not great on the road but.. this is very extreme.

This is what has been done to it. It was stock prior to me messing with it :S

ball joints replaced
RC 2.5 Coil/Shock Lift
Front and Rear adjustable trackbars - both front and rear axles are centered perfectly, or were before sag.
RC steering stabilizer
RC sway bar disconnects
285/70/R17 KO2s on 17" JLU take offs @ 32 PSI
[reference for addition weight]
Front steel bumper with winch
Rear steel bumper with tire carrier

A rough alignment has been done but I am resistant to getting a proper alignment done before I replace this kit. Alignment won't fix the wallowing, sag or lack of rebound/dampening.

#1 - wallowing out of road depressions (like no rebound), feels like it has a 4" lift with no shocks or sway bar. I can rock the thing by pressing on the bumper with 2 fingers.
#2 - feel everything on the road like it was a speed bump
#3 - steering is randomly light or hard. eg. You can turn the wheel to no/little effect, but other times it feels like the slightest movement in the wheel was a full turn of the wheel.

For reference, I've driven trucks for 30 years, some lifted. This is 100% my first jeep though. I get they're not great on the road but.. this is very extreme.

This is what has been done to it. It was stock prior to me messing with it :S

ball joints replaced
RC 2.5 Coil/Shock Lift
Front and Rear adjustable trackbars - both front and rear axles are centered perfectly, or were before sag.
RC steering stabilizer
RC sway bar disconnects
285/70/R17 KO2s on 17" JLU take offs @ 32 PSI
[reference for addition weight]
Front steel bumper with winch
Rear steel bumper with tire carrier

A rough alignment has been done but I am resistant to getting a proper alignment done before I replace this kit. Alignment won't fix the wallowing, sag or lack of rebound/dampening.
Dam that's a lot going on. I would start with checking shocks. Thats what controls rebound/dampening

Reactions: Danarch
Damn. That's wild! Are the sway bar links adjusted correctly? Did you get longer shocks or shock relocation brackets?

Reactions: mrjp
Damn. That's wild! Are the sway bar links adjusted correctly? Did you get longer shocks or shock relocation brackets?
Shocks were paired with the coils so, yeah a little longer. Swaybars are perfect to my knowledge - installed adjustable on front, rear sag means that stock is pretty much perfect. Link and bar make a right angle (90 degrees) so swaybar end is horizontal allowing for the most travel either way without fear of inversion.

Needless to say I've double checked everything is tight and torqued correctly too. With the sag I just feel like the springs are inadequate for the job at hand and the shocks are trash. That's why I am looking elsewhere.

Reactions: mrjp
Needless to say I've double checked everything is tight and torqued correctly too. With the sag I just feel like the springs are inadequate for the job at hand and the shocks are trash. That's why I am looking elsewhere.
Sounds like where I'm currently at myself. 2010 sport with same lift. I've replaced just about everything in the front end and had it aligned....progressively getting worse. Lift is only 4 and a half months old

If decide to go with a different lift enjoy our 2.5” AEV Dualsport lift. Give your description spacers may be decent option. Personally I’d just hate to do all that labor and not have new springs and shocks. It does seem like a 2” or spacer may work.