Looking for suggestions on what I should upgrade next on my 2014 JKU

NorcalDan

Hey all,

I've been lurking for months, but time for a first post!

My wife and I decided to get another jeep and pick up on the off-road fun we had back in college when we would get out in her YJ. We decided to sell that off when we had kids for a family SUV, but we decided we were ready for a new mid-life crisis car!

We found a great 2014 Rubicon 4dr with lots of upgrades and picked it up just in time for the pandemic and California wildfires to strike! It means we’ve only gotten out to do some fire trails and local OHV Park a handful of times.

We’ve only done a few upgrades since getting the jeep, most notably the Steering Assist. Nearly everything else was just some fun cosmetic touches.

The big question is what next? We want to get out to Rubicon Trail which the previous owners say this Jeep has done. We’ve gone a few times as passengers, so I know what to expect but I feel like I’d like to get a few upgrades in this summer first.

Here is a rough build list or our JKUR.

2014 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon 4Dr Manual 6-Speed
Nitto 37x12.50R17 Trail Grappler
Rubicon Express 3.5” Lift
BDS Fox Front/Rear Shocks
Fox 2.0 Smooth Body Steering Stabilizer Shocks
JRC Fender Flares
Artec JK1010 Belly Pan under armor
MagnaFlow Off-Road Pro-Series 2.5” Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Cold Air Intake Kit 77-1566KP
PSC BIG BORE XD2 Cylinder Assist Steering Kit
XRC Front & Rear Bumper
XRC 8000 Winch
TeraFlex Tire Carrier
20” E Series White spot/flood combo
Truck-Lite 27270C 7" LED Headlamps
Bedrug Bed Tred Liners

I suppose the big thing that stand out is regearing out of the stock 4.10 to 4.88s.

Beyond that I’m not sure what else or what order to tackle things. Big Brake Kit? Atlas Transfer Case? Driveshafts, Tierods, Dual Batteries… oh my!

I don’t feel like I just need to replace everything the stock Rubicon has (that’s part of what makes the Rubicon great off the lot) but like most jeep owners on the forum these projects are never really done either!

Thanks for any suggestions.

B05ADDDA-9BE5-453F-8570-62D3156F14FD.jpeg

I would have the big brake kit, gears, and axle strengthening on my short list. Nice rig by the way! Building up a Jeep is quite the process unless you have unlimited funds to throw at it. I would love to add the Artec under armor and the PSC hydro assist steering to mine when funds become available.

Thanks guys, I had been thinking brakes but I haven’t really had problems... yet. But I also haven’t pushed the rig hard either.

Plus, I start day dreaming about pulling a trailer and brakes would certainly help there!

Axles are one of those things I hear some people say don’t change until they break... but it isn’t like they break in the driveway either.

I have eyeballed artec trusses/c gussets, but then I start thinking about the RCV Ultimate axles.

It seems like doing either of these while doing the brakes at the same time would be sensible, right?

Reactions: mrjp
It would be easier to do the brakes and axles at the same time, and maybe the axles will have the big brakes on them also.

Reactions: mrjp
I second the big brake upgrade suggestion! Mine made an astounding difference. Either that or hydro-assist.

Ok, Big Brakes are certainly on for this summer!

I did install the Psc hydro assist last fall and I love it.

The question is what to do about strengthening the axels I’m leaning toward just doing the Artec trusses as that is pretty affordable parts and a bit of welding.

Anybody have experience to share with that kit?

I had the Artec Apex trusses added to my front and rear axles as part of my strengthening. I also installed Yukon front and rear chromoly axles and re-geared. I did not do the work and it was fairly recent so I don't have any real experience to share with them yet.