Looking for a new head unit for 2008 JK

Free Louie

Hi there,
I've been looking for a suitable replacement head unit for my 2008 JK Wrangler X. I currently have the Mopar 6 disc unit,( no touch screen). It's got a bad aux jack and the screen doesn't light up anymore so its about time for something new. Ideally I would like a touchscreen model with Airplay capability , no loss in sound quality (preferably a gain:)) compared with the stock unit and Bluetooth audio capability. I see alot of old units taken from Chrysler minivans and the like on places EBay and Facebook market place , but after doing way too much casual reading, I'm seeing mixed information on what will or will not work in my vehicle and also serve my needs/wants. I'd like to keep things under $350. There are alot of tear-off units in the $200 range, but I can't tell whether they are going to work properly, nor do I know if they even sound any good. Im leery of the stuff I see on Amazon in this price range as well.

So.... um.....will Somebody with insight help me please!?? :)

Thanks much !

Hi there,
I've been looking for a suitable replacement head unit for my 2008 JK Wrangler X. I currently have the Mopar 6 disc unit,( no touch screen). It's got a bad aux jack and the screen doesn't light up anymore so its about time for something new. Ideally I would like a touchscreen model with Airplay capability , no loss in sound quality (preferably a gain:)) compared with the stock unit and Bluetooth audio capability. I see alot of old units taken from Chrysler minivans and the like on places EBay and Facebook market place , but after doing way too much casual reading, I'm seeing mixed information on what will or will not work in my vehicle and also serve my needs/wants. I'd like to keep things under $350. There are alot of tear-off units in the $200 range, but I can't tell whether they are going to work properly, nor do I know if they even sound any good. Im leery of the stuff I see on Amazon in this price range as well.

So.... um.....will Somebody with insight help me please!?? :)

Thanks much !

If ease of install/wiring is what you are looking for, in addition to the under $300 budget - check these out on Amazon that are plug and play. I've been debating to get one of these for a year or so, but a Pedal Commander and re-gearimg took priority.

There's a couple Chinese manufactured ones that are plug and play, which I've seen had decent reviews. They even come with a canbus to make everything just work (light dimmers, ect). Plus, if you strip your jeep naked like I do in the summer, less to worry about losing a $1200 head unit.

If you get one of these, definitely update us/me 🙂. But, just type in "2008 Jeep Wrangler stereo plug and play" in an Amazon and see what comes up.

for Jeep Wrangler jk/Dodge RAM/Chrysler 300C 7inch Android GPS Navigation Car Radio Stereo with Bluetooth and Backup Camera Compatible with Apple Carplay and Android Auto https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TQP1Q3V/?tag=jkforum-20

Try https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iSjQZKi9u5l/ I get all my audio equipment from them, if you call they do an excellent job making sure you have everything you need. I'm a big fan of Kenwood.

radio.jpg

kicker.jpg

amp.jpg

My suggestion is to go to Crutchfield. Com. Create an account, put in your Jeep year, make and model, then shop for HUs. Pay attention to reviews and actually read what others have said. I've found it very helpful when choosing a new HU

If ease of install/wiring is what you are looking for, in addition to the under $300 budget - check these out on Amazon that are plug and play. I've been debating to get one of these for a year or so, but a Pedal Commander and re-gearimg took priority.

There's a couple Chinese manufactured ones that are plug and play, which I've seen had decent reviews. They even come with a canbus to make everything just work (light dimmers, ect). Plus, if you strip your jeep naked like I do in the summer, less to worry about losing a $1200 head unit.

If you get one of these, definitely update us/me 🙂. But, just type in "2008 Jeep Wrangler stereo plug and play" in an Amazon and see what comes up.

for Jeep Wrangler jk/Dodge RAM/Chrysler 300C 7inch Android GPS Navigation Car Radio Stereo with Bluetooth and Backup Camera Compatible with Apple Carplay and Android Auto https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TQP1Q3V/?tag=jkforum-20
So, I'm willing to give one of these Amazon units a try, but the last big concernI have is power: The stock unit is specced at 60 watts. I'd like to get more power -- not less. Seeing alot 40-50 watt units as I wade through the cesspool of Chinese junk:)

I highly suggest not using Amazon for research in this matter. That website has turned into an absolute mess of bad information and outright lies. You can get good stuff from it, but the reviews are a waste of time, too many have figured out how to scam the system through bots or scams.

Crutchfield on the other hand is the de-facto place to get info with regard to car stereos. It will guide you through all the components you will need

I highly suggest not using Amazon for research in this matter. That website has turned into an absolute mess of bad information and outright lies. You can get good stuff from it, but the reviews are a waste of time, too many have figured out how to scam the system through bots or scams.

Crutchfield on the other hand is the de-facto place to get info with regard to car stereos. It will guide you through all the components you will need
Yeah, I feel like Amazon is like this with just about everything these days. The more I look at Crutchfield the more I think I should go that route , spend a little more, and avoid the scammers. Thanks much.

Reactions: mrjp and 72c10
Yeah, I feel like Amazon is like this with just about everything these days. The more I look at Crutchfield the more I think I should go that route , spend a little more, and avoid the scammers. Thanks much.
I used Best Buy stuff for the system in my '72 Chev truck if you want to touch, feel, sample first. The Kenwood head unit /Kicker speaker combo turned out well. For our jeeps, just make sure you get a canbus to integrate into our Jeep's electrical system.

Crutchifield DOES kick ass and they know what you need for install (antenna adapter, dash kit, canbus, ect) and it's a one stop shop.

I was tempted to buy a cheap plug n play touch screen from Amazon, but... Like most - I don't trust the reviews.

My Jeep is naked all summer. I just put the upgraded Kicker/Mopar speakers (plug and play) and it seemed to improve the sound exponentially. I'm afraid to drop money on a good head unit and either have it rained on and get ruined or straight jacked. Salt Lake City area used to be a decent place, but now you have to lock your stuff up because of the tweakers that the justice system here doesn't hold accountable.

Reactions: mrjp