Looking at buying my first JK and down to a 07 and 13. What to look for in regard to problem areas and help me assess the value!

TheGrayt1

Hey Guys, I have had a TJ in the past and loved it but now am looking to get back into Jeeps and found two nice JK options. Both have light mods like small lifts, 35's, fenders, bumpers, winches, etc. One is a 2007 Unlimited X with 87k manual trans with a soft top listed at $15,500 and the other is a super clean 2013 Unlimited Rubicon black Wrangler with 52k miles automatic with high-end mods listed for $32k. I do not have unlimited money and this is a big purchase for me. Please tell me if I should be avoiding either of these years or engine/trans combos. Any major things to look out for? What do you think of the asking prices if both are clean and well maintained and never wrecked? Thanks in advance and hoping to join this board by sealing the deal this weekend!

Reactions: Duster and mrjp
Really the best way to answer any of your questions is for you to read through some of the Sections and see the common problems some have.

I have a manual trans which i'm glad because just eliminates a electrical issue that could with a auto trans.

Really the best way to answer any of your questions is for you to read through some of the Sections and see the common problems some have.

I have a manual trans which i'm glad because just eliminates a electrical issue that could with a auto trans.
Appreciate the reply but a high level overview would be great. Also can you all assess the values of these two deals?

Appreciate the reply but a high level overview would be great. Also can you all assess the values of these two deals?

In todays market with the problems with People haveing issues with being able to get new vehicles those prices look reasonable. It's also hard finding low miles JK's like those.

3 years ago I bought my 2008 with 75,000 miles manual trans and thousands of dollars of aftermarket parts for $19,000.

Keep in mind a few things, I belive 2007 was the first year for the 3.8 and 2012 the first year for 3.6 setup in the JK’s. Seems like the “perception” is the fist few years are the years to work out the kinks (which I usually have the same perception). That said it “seems” like most would prefer the 07 over the 12/13 JK model years from what I read. I really have no experience as I have 2015. My son has an 08 (i think it is, might be 07) and he has only had about 6 months, picked up for about 25K and 55K miles or so. So far no issues really and seems to be working well for him. A lot changes in a year, but for reference a year ago February bought a JKUHR with less then 15K miles (manual) for 36K basically all stock.

Hey Guys, I have had a TJ in the past and loved it but now am looking to get back into Jeeps and found two nice JK options. Both have light mods like small lifts, 35's, fenders, bumpers, winches, etc. One is a 2007 Unlimited X with 87k manual trans with a soft top listed at $15,500 and the other is a super clean 2013 Unlimited Rubicon black Wrangler with 52k miles automatic with high-end mods listed for $32k. I do not have unlimited money and this is a big purchase for me. Please tell me if I should be avoiding either of these years or engine/trans combos. Any major things to look out for? What do you think of the asking prices if both are clean and well maintained and never wrecked? Thanks in advance and hoping to join this board by sealing the deal this weekend!
It is kind of hard to pin these issues down. Price and mileage tend to correlate inversely. Other things enter the picture such as just what you plan to do with it. My own bottom line wish was for a manual shift. Where I live they are thin on the ground. When my 2015 Rubicon was T-boned, there was only one manual within 100 miles. It was only available because the dealer had "lost" it in their back lot, so I replaced my 2015 for a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock, with almost exactly the same low mileage. I got really lucky. I prefer the Rubi's because they come with Dana 44's fore and aft. A basic Sport model is far less expensive, but the Dana 30 in front is a little more vulnerable to bumping around. If you are not planning on rock crawling, or screaming down unmaintained dirt roads at high speeds, the 30 is fine.

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd JK, an '08 and my last JK was a '13... and this JK is my 7th Jeep so hopefully my experience helps.

Gotta look at pros/cons of each vehicle, as an individual Jeep vs apples to apples. I say that because even though they may both be JK's on similar lifts and have some of the same upgrades, they are not the same - again, strictly my opinion. The '13 has a different engine with considerably more horsepower and is a Rubicon so it will command that higher price, especially if it has "high end" mods. The '07 is probably the better "builder" platform if it was well taken care of. And, you mentioned not having unlimited funds so one of the first things to remember in the Jeep world is the reality of pouring money into this vehicle, no matter which one you choose. So, considering the '13 is twice the money, you could do some pretty great upgrades to the '07 for under $16.5 to overcome any of its shortcomings. The upside to that in my opinion, is you've done the modifications and you know what corners (if any) were cut in the process and where you may have some weakness along the way. Who knows how the heavily modded Jeep was treated on the trail. Last thing to consider, is the '07 at $15.5 is probably not going to lose much value at this point, so from a financial perspective, you could possibly drive it for a couple years, make some smart modifications and end up selling it for a profit. If it were me and the '07 was clean, had a lift, 35's, bumpers and a winch, I'd jump at $15.5 all day. Then, depending on how you planned to use it, make a list of upgrades and go from there. You'll get tons of help on this forum and in the Jeep community in general to help point you in the right direction. if you have questions on where to start, shoot me a message - I'm always happy to offer my $0.02. Good luck whichever one you decide on!

So I am going to go with the 2007 JK but I did find out it is 2wd... I am not a big off-roader guy so no big deal to me but know it could affect resale value. The 07 Jeep drove great and I am getting it for an insane deal of 11.5k cash. I will post some pics when I get it

So I am going to go with the 2007 JK but I did find out it is 2wd... I am not a big off-roader guy so no big deal to me but know it could affect resale value. The 07 Jeep drove great and I am getting it for an insane deal of 11.5k cash. I will post some pics when I get it
Mmmmm It's your money and obviously your choice . But in honesty may want to rethink purchasing a 2WD Jeep. I didn't even know 2WD was an option when looking at purchasing one for myself till research told me a few were made . So made sure when checking listings etc that they were indeed 4WD.
It will most def effect resale value if you ever decide to sell . Could have a heck of a time selling . You are probably getting a good price as nobody interested in purcheasing a 2WD model. Biggest downfall is that the off-road capability of a Jeep Wrangler is unmatched . So you are losing out in a big way going for a 2WD. As what if you decide to do some more exploring etc Off Road. . Well , wait , you really can't as you have a 2WD so will have to sell to get a 4WD. .

I've owned my JK for just about 3 years now and have never locked my 4x4 in and probably never will. I don't drive it in the winter time when there is snow on the roads or off wheel it. So if someone is just like me a 2wd will be perfect for them.

Reactions: BigAL07
Look I totally get it a 2wD Jeep is not ideal for most. I would never go extreme offraoding and we live in Texas where the winters are never that bad. The way I look at it with the chip.car shortage I am getting a nice vehicle at the bottom end of trade-in value. If you guys think I am making huge mistake at $11,500 for a super clear modded JKU please let me know.

That doesn't sound bad and if you don't need the 4 wheel drive that will save you money for something you won't use.

For me, 2wd would be a deal breaker, however, if you aren't going to use 4wd then go for it. Like you said you're only in for $11.5 so you probably aren't going to lose money on the deal down the road. And, I can assure you that you'll find plenty of 4wd Jeeps if you ever decide you want to start wheeling it. Plus, 2wd will be cheaper on gas too (marginally, but at $5 or more per gallon, take every bit you can get).

Every one of us is into Jeeps for our own reasons - some like the community, some like the looks, some like off-roading, and heck some of us even like angry grills... Do whatever works for you, just remember to throw out a wave once in a while and all is good!

Now that I've inserted angry grills and Jeep waves into this 2wd post, the conversation should really heat up... :devilish:

Reactions: SteveF and BLACKJKU
For me, 2wd would be a deal breaker, however, if you aren't going to use 4wd then go for it. Like you said you're only in for $11.5 so you probably aren't going to lose money on the deal down the road. And, I can assure you that you'll find plenty of 4wd Jeeps if you ever decide you want to start wheeling it. Plus, 2wd will be cheaper on gas too (marginally, but at $5 or more per gallon, take every bit you can get).

Every one of us is into Jeeps for our own reasons - some like the community, some like the looks, some like off-roading, and heck some of us even like angry grills... Do whatever works for you, just remember to throw out a wave once in a while and all is good!

Now that I've inserted angry grills and Jeep waves into this 2wd post, the conversation should really heat up... :devilish:
Very well put! I am picking it up today at 3 and will post pics for you guys

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say next . You have to do what is right for yourself . Myself personally wouldn’t but my life and activities are diff than yours . At the end of the day as long as your happy . Enjoy your new ride :)

Looks awesome! Someone def put some time and money into it - I think you scored a great deal at $11,500. Congrats on a kick ass ride!

Reactions: JeepJeezy