License plate light not working after LED pulled

72c10

JK Enthusiast
07 JKU: Last night we took the kids for a ride (doors & top off). Out of the corner of my eye, I see flickering, which ended up being the licence plate LED bulb (cheap Amazon one my friend gave me.

When I pulled into the garage, i fiddled with it. Stopped flickering for a second, but started again (probably bad, due to being a cheap LED bulb I've ha in there for a year). Like a dumbass, I twisted the LED bulb, but held the base of the bulb and the light went out. I probably messed up the internals of the bulb. Oh well. So, I'll put the halogen back in...easy enough? NOPE.

I get no light at all now, even after checking with other halogen and LED bulbs.

I the morning, I'll get to it again (needed to get the kids to sleep).

Pre-bed time troubleshoot:

1. Checked the M17 fuse (tail/licence/running light). Looks good/ not blown.

2. Took an electrical tester to the harness and the wires (purple/white and the white (don't remember which is positive)). But, no power from harness or wires. Maybe I wasn't grounded well. Will recheck in the morning.

This is a freak thing, I know. I'm shaking my head. I should've just pulled the bulb out and plugged a new one in.

What I plan on doing in the morning:

1. Put in a new 15A fuse in the M17 slot. It may not be blown, but defected enough to not provide full power. (maybe same reason some people get all but the running flights)

2. Recheck with my tester and make sure I have a good ground for the tester.

LAST resort: will just rewire and tap into running lights.

Any other suggestions? (Besides not putting in crappy LEDs or twisting it when it flickers).

Thanks in advance.

07 JKU: Last night we took the kids for a ride (doors & top off). Out of the corner of my eye, I see flickering, which ended up being the licence plate LED bulb (cheap Amazon one my friend gave me.

When I pulled into the garage, i fiddled with it. Stopped flickering for a second, but started again (probably bad, due to being a cheap LED bulb I've ha in there for a year). Like a dumbass, I twisted the LED bulb, but held the base of the bulb and the light went out. I probably messed up the internals of the bulb. Oh well. So, I'll put the halogen back in...easy enough? NOPE.

I get no light at all now, even after checking with other halogen and LED bulbs.

I the morning, I'll get to it again (needed to get the kids to sleep).

Pre-bed time troubleshoot:

1. Checked the M17 fuse (tail/licence/running light). Looks good/ not blown.

2. Took an electrical tester to the harness and the wires (purple/white and the white (don't remember which is positive)). But, no power from harness or wires. Maybe I wasn't grounded well. Will recheck in the morning.

This is a freak thing, I know. I'm shaking my head. I should've just pulled the bulb out and plugged a new one in.

What I plan on doing in the morning:

1. Put in a new 15A fuse in the M17 slot. It may not be blown, but defected enough to not provide full power. (maybe same reason some people get all but the running flights)

2. Recheck with my tester and make sure I have a good ground for the tester.

LAST resort: will just rewire and tap into running lights.

Any other suggestions? (Besides not putting in crappy LEDs or twisting it when it flickers).

Thanks in advance.

Damn schematics. I pulled about 4 schematics online. All said the M17 mini fuse is for the left turn/licence plate/running light and the M18 was for the right side.

I swapped the fuses and I got licence plate light, but no left.

it was my right side lights (park/running) fuse that was out. Opposite of what any schematic said. Dumb.

Reactions: mrjp and JeepJeezy
do u think that if i have no bulb in the backup light on the right would b the problem with my license plate light not working?

do u think that if i have no bulb in the backup light on the right would b the problem with my license plate light not working?
I'm sure someone will chime in, but maybe it doesn't complete the circuit if the bulb isn't in? Maybe try installing an operable bulb and see? And maybe change the license plate bulb too, in case it's a bad one.