LED headlight flicker on Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Clancaster23

I've posted here before, I have a Renegade but I'm not getting much help from those forums since I guess not a lot of people swap out the stock headlights for 7" LEDs and I'm sure lots of Wrangler owners do so I thought I'd post a question here.

So I changed out the stock halogens for some 7" RGB LEDs. The halo part of it is not solid, it's a ring of leds. I wired them into my running lights so they would be on all the time and they will also flash when using the turn signal. Now I did get two anti flicker canbus adapters that I am using but that's wired into the headlights, not the halos. The problem I am having now is if the headlights are on, the amber halo quickly flickers. Headlights off, just marker lights on, they are solid. Say I have four ways on, the bright part of the flash is fine, when it goes to the dimmer light, it has the quick flicker. I took some short videos to help try to explain what's going on.

This is with headlights on, I have the constant flicker of the halo.

This is headlights off, four ways on. You can see the bright part of the blinking is good, when it drops down to the lower brightness blink, that's when it flickers.

Hopefully that explains what I have going on. How can I get rid of the flickering of the low power? I already contacted the seller and they are sending out a whole new set but I don't think it's the lights myself. Also, I have the power coming straight from the battery. Not sure if that matters. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how that can be when it's basically brand new, just bought a couple months ago. I read somewhere that most people don't hook the power wire right to the battery, that they use a fuse and plug it into the fuse box in the ACC slot. This thing has three different fuse boxes, I have yet to find that slot. But I'm wondering if I do it that way, maybe that will fix the problem.

Then check the volts on the wire you have at the Halos to see if the volts are flickering, if not flickering then the problem isn't the power supply. A fuse just prevents a over amperage to a product.

I do have a volt meter. I would Just set it to 12 volt, touch red to a bare part in the wire going to the halos and the black to the negative terminal correct?

Yes, black could be any good ground or battery neg post. If your volts stay the same then your light is bad if the halo's keep flickering. Just need to check the last connection at the light you made with a power wire.

One other thing you could do is to turn the lights on without the vehicle running, the battery volts will be stay the same. If it still flickers then i'd say it's the light.

With the engine running you should see 14 to 14.5 volts. Why do you have the 4 ways on when your testing your volts?

You said it was flickering and it wasn't supposed to, unless I misread what you originally posted.

Ok. From what I can tell, engine off, just halos on I get a reading of 12.00 volts. Engine on, again a little ligher arounf 12.3 volts. And its steady also, no movement in the numbers

Are they still flickering? Also with the engine running and with the lights wired at the battery you should be seeing battery volts which is between 14 and 14.5 volts.

Yes, still the same. If the lights are on they flicker or if the lights are off but they are blinking due to the turn signal or four ways being on, the low light flickers.

Like I said you should have 14 to 14.5 volts on the wire at the light when the vehicle is running. Maybe the problem your having is the reason why they don't sell the lights for your vehicle.

I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe I missed something. I do already have the seller sending me a new set. It would be easy enough to hook them up without installing them to see if they do the same thing.

Have you tried enabling the LED headlight option on the PCM with the J-Scan app?

Got rid of my flicker for me. This is how the dealer does it.

It will sound kind of strange but the voltages have to be adjusted in the system to support the LED's. I observed an odd setting in the JK Wranglers, but for the Renegade, I have not tinkered with that.